How do you replace the chain?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 78gs1000 View Post
    I can just get an endless chain can I not?
    If you choose an already riveted endless chain, one without a master link, you'll either have to break the chain and use a master link, or remove the swingarm to get the chain on.
    sigpic
    Steve
    "The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page." :cool:

Comment

No, I cancelled the order I think I'm gonna hold of for a month or so and get the 530 sprokets with a 530 chain. In the end that seems like the better way to go!

Comment

Just an update:
        Was told I need 18 tooth front sprocket (pn- EM95-47318) and a 50 tooth rear sprocket (pn - EM95-57150) to keep the stock gear ratio with a 116 link 530 chain

Comment

42/15 = 2.8
          50/18 = 2.7777...

So yeah, pretty much the same ratio. I'll leave the link calculations to somebody else.

Comment

EK Chain 530MVXZ Super Sport will this work? I know it will fit, but it sais up to 1000cc max, I have a 1000cc but am planning on doing some mods to get it higher closer to the 1100cc range. Let me know, Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by sedelen View Post
              If your sprockets are good you could grind off the end of a link to separate the chain (if you have an endless, no master link chain), then use a master link to connect the new and old chain and as you pull the old one off the new one goes on, yes it can be that easy! That's if you don't want to mess with pulling off the swingarm. You can either use a clip master link or the one that you have to mash the ends on so you have a new endless chain.
              As far as getting a new chain, here's a premo at bargain prices, a new
              630 RK XW (superior to O ring) chain, believe it's the best 630 chain out there that's still available. They are doing away with these chains I was told as they're suppose to be going to a 530 conversion, that's why they're on close-out, and there's only a few left. Believe it does include a master link but don't know if it's the clip or mash the end down type for the endless chain. This is what I used and how I did it, didn't even have to pull the chain guard of sprocket cover off.
              You may have to take out a couple of links as this has 98 links and I think what we use is 96, no biggie. Hope this helps.

Use the link below and scroll down to RK chains, then look for the XW-Ring-630 Chain 630GSV-98, part no BL404. $68.

http://www.rkexcelamerica.com/blemished_dirt_atv.html
              Just wanted to thank you for this link. I ordered the XW chain today from Gary and it should be here by next Thursday. I had him check the box for the type of master link and it ships with the rivet type. (my preference)

My local bike shop wanted $154 for a RK O-ring chain with the clip on link. I usually try to buy local when the parts are only slightly higher than internet prices, but I left it on the counter used the link you provided. He has 2 left if anyone needs them. You can't beat the price. I probably should have bought another one.
              Thanks again!

Comment

Originally posted by mike_of_bbg View Post
                For the rear you need to loosen then remove the axle bolt. On my bike that means I have to un-bolt the shock tops and prop the rear wheel so the axle can clear the exhaust. Once the rear wheel is off the whole assembly will probably fall apart. All those spacers are necessary so try to remember where they go, or look at a parts fiche.
                I am impressed with the way the rear wheel comes off my '79 GS1000E. Swingarm is forked so the entire assembly, minus the caliper, is removed with the axle installed. Every bike should be designed like this. No need to deal with all the spacers and things on a job like replacing the chain. Not sure if the sprocket can be removed from the hub without disassembly, though.

Comment

Originally posted by Notz View Post
                  Just wanted to thank you for this link. I ordered the XW chain today from Gary and it should be here by next Thursday. I had him check the box for the type of master link and it ships with the rivet type. (my preference)

My local bike shop wanted $154 for a RK O-ring chain with the clip on link. I usually try to buy local when the parts are only slightly higher than internet prices, but I left it on the counter used the link you provided. He has 2 left if anyone needs them. You can't beat the price. I probably should have bought another one.
                  Thanks again!
                  Your Welcome! Hope you get it installed without much hassle. I had one installed on my '82 GS1100E with a rivet link, and I have one yet to install for my '79 GS1000E (the chain on it still has some life left) The RK XW Ring is the best 630 chain regardless of the price I think.
                  sigpic
                  Steve
                  "The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page." :cool:

Comment

Working...
                  X