Lets talk about Lubes!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lets talk about Lubes!

We all know that moving parts produce friction and friction can result in premature part wear and failure. The best way to prevent this is to lube these areas of concern. So, what types of lube are you using for:

Anti-seize for nuts and bolts
    Swing arm pivot bolt
    Cables
    Steering stem bearings
    Axles

There are PLENTY of threads about lubing the chain so I left that off. Im starting to put my bike back together again so figure now is the best time to lube everything so If you can think of other areas that need lube, fire away!

Anti-seize for nuts and bolts--There is lots of love for permatex copper

Cables--I hear there is specific oil for this, but some people I know will periodically spray wd-40 down the cable tubes.

Comment

Cables - I use some spritz that goes into a device that shoots it down the core of the cable. Came as a kit.

Anti seize- whatever is on sale
      Pivots, etc.- Lithium soap grease.
      NO PIC THANKS TO FOTO BUCKET FOR BEING RIDICULOUS

Current Rides: 1980 Suzuki GS1000ET, 2009 Yamaha FZ1, 1983 Honda CB1100F, 2006 H-D Fatboy
      Previous Rides: 1972 Yamaha DS7, 1977 Yamaha RD400D, '79 RD400F Daytona Special, '82 RD350LC, 1980 Suzuki GS1000E (sold that one), 1982 Honda CB900F, 1984 Kawasaki GPZ900R

Comment

Graphite for the cables.

Comment

For the bearings, axles and pivot bolts I use Marine Grease. It is virtually waterproof and lubes well. I got mine at Tractor Supply Company but you can find it lots of places.
          For my cables I used to use 3 in one oil, hanging the cable and dripping it in little by little. I just picked up a cable lube attachment and will use a spray lube with it.

Comment

Needle oiler for the cables, really easy! Believe it or not Harley has one that is easily available & works well. It's HD branded made by someone else. The someone else does it in a bigger qty but it's similar price & harder to get hold of.....
            1980 GS1000G - Sold
            1978 GS1000E - Finished!
            1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
            1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
            2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
            1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
            2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

I use some Red grease or Marine for my throttle cables and other stuff.

I use white lithium too.

Comment

Cheap motor oil for cables.
                Regular chassis lube for swingarm.

I wish they had put a grease nipple on more parts of the bike.

NIPPLE! ahh such a nice word. You know I met a person once was scared of nipples.

Comment

Working...
                X