Speedomter Rebuild or Replace?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Speedomter Rebuild or Replace?

My wife's '83 GS1100G"L" speedometer needle started "swinging" back and forth at a speed of about 55/60mph. Is that a speedometer problem or drive problem? The odometer seems to record miles driven ( within about 1 or 2 tenths of my bike, so I think that function is ok). Then after a day or so, the speedometer works ok, although the needle does "vibrate" a little.
    I've read elsewhere on this site about taking the speedometer apart (carefully removing the chrome rim around the meter face), but I'm not sure what to look for after I'm "in there". Any suggestions about lubricating and what to use? If gears are worn, then what? Any known repair shops that work on these meters?
    The article referrenced on this site was very helpful, but before tearing into the meter I want to make sure that the effort will correct the problem.

Thanks,

Taking the speedo apart can be done, but it is a bit tricky. So much that I am not going to do it even though my trip odometer broke last month.
    Have you checked the cable yet? I suggest removing it, cleaning it and lubing it:
    Remove it on both ends
    Remove the inner drive cable
    Clean the drive cable and the inside of the sheath (outer) cable
    (I use brake cleaner myself)
    Lube the inner cable and reinstall
    Some use graphite lube, some use cable lube (dealer's choice)
    Reinstall and check it out

Comment

BTDT; but thanks for the reply. I also "repaired/refurbished" the drive unit and cleaned and lubed the cable at that time. Soeedo worked fine for weeks, then on a 300 mile day, the speedo went haywire at about 150 miles. On the return trip, speedo started working again(?).
      I read a write up about repairing the guages on this site and have "mis-placed" it; if anyone can direct me to the write up with pictures, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks again,
      Bob Young

Comment

Working...
      X