cross-threaded hole...&*^%!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

cross-threaded hole...&*^%!!!!

Fortunately not on my bike but on the car.

Removed EGR valve to clean it in attempt to clear error code, when attempting to put it back on, I hand started 1 of the bolts, felt it grab, gave it the slightest turn with a ratchet and it felt too snug. Backed it out, but think I've cross-threaded the hole.

Fortunately it's a threaded hole that goes all the way through, not a closed hole.

Current bolt size is 8mm x 1.25
    SO. Options:

- re-thread it?
    - same size?
    - go larger?
    - eff-it, just crank the bolt into it and 're-thread' it the hard way?

never understand why the simple things both take 100x longer than they should and why threading a bolt into a hole is so difficult? Should have just paid $100 to mechanic to do menial job (which now doesn't seem so menial!).

Thanks!!!

if it runs all the way through just run a tap through it from the other end, or just use a bolt instead as a bodge it quick fix
    1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

I've cross-threaded plenty of times on my cars/trucks.
      Usually If I play around with the bolt, gently turn it from different angles...I'll eventually hook into the old threading again.

But if your bolt is really hard to access, then I say **** it and crank her anyways!

Comment

Run a tap through the hole and use a new bolt.

Damn cars, always taking time away from important stuff like motorcycles... other people's crappy cars have been the bane of my existence the last few weeks.
        1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
        2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
        2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
        Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

currently decided on going full-on redneck with this one. Non-torquing fitting, just needs to snug up so went down a size (1/4 x 20) and go lock nut on the end, just need to cinch it down once I get the other bolt through without the friggin' gasket slipping down.

Friggin' high tech things. Sensors for this and that. Recirculate exhaust though the engine (only some times -- who the heck thought that was a good idea???). Really leaning towards the old school. Carborator, no dang 02 sensors, etc. Car runs or it doesn't...friggin' computers!!

For the price of decent used car can probably rig up sidecar and get some all season gear for the bike and do 2-wheeling unless it's snowing...maybe need to sod buy a 'new to me' car, just move to Az or FLA where it doesnt snow....

(vent over!)

Comment

The tap should correct the threads, no need to change size.

Comment

Working...
            X