Looking to paint engine/everything!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looking to paint engine/everything!

Wanting to paint the engine black with red, I saw some "engine paint" at wal mart it came in a spray can can this be used? What type of preperations are necessary if any?

For everything chrome I plan on using http://duplicolor.com/products/shadow/

You could probably use Walmart paint, but for something like that I recommend either Duplicolor or Rustoleum engine paint. Both are rated to 500 degrees; I used it on my GPz block and it looks great. I also suggest baking the painted item to help cure it, smooth the paint and get it ready. It is not a must, but things go easier because the engine is not smoking as it cures the paint. A word of caution: it emits noxious fumes, so you'll want to do it in a garage (I have toaster over that works great, thanks Brian) or open the windows/doors in the house. The wife won't like it, btw, so send her shopping or something while you do it.
    Prep is the same as any object to be painted - degrease it, sand to the finish you want, clean again, paint w/several coats, let dry, bake, and you're done.
    BTW, you'll probably get more responses in the Appearance section. Just a thought.

Comment

Working...
    X