Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1980 GS850G fuel tank removal

Hi Everybody

I'm trying to have a close look at my electrical and do some testing, cleaning, and perhaps replacing of faulty parts. I'm really a novice at this. I want to take my tank off. Is there a tutorial on this site for taking it off? I see that there are two bolts fastening the petcock to the tank. Do I remove the petcock from the tank? Or do i just disconnect the fuel line from the petcock (leaving it attached to the tank), remove the bolt from the rear of the tank, and lift up and off the forward mounts?

Also, the tank is about half full, what woud be the best way to drain tank before removing? siphon out the cap? or drain through petcock?

Like i said....novice.

Thanks in advance for any advice. I hope that everyone has an enjoyable weekend!!

Yes, just disconnect the hose and vacuum line from the petcock, undo the mounting bolt, and lift off. To drain, place your petcock on Prime and let it flow (as long as you don't have the one that requires vacuum to do so).

I'm curious as to why you thought you'd have to remove the petcock to remove the tank though.

Have you been to Basscliff's site yet?
    Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
    1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
    2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
    Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
    and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Hi,

Leave the petcock bolted to the tank, just disconnect the vacuum and fuel lines. Leave the lines connected to the carbs. You can leave the fuel in the tank. As long as your petcock is working properly it will not leak fuel.

You'll see how to remove the tank in the valve adjustment tutorial on my website. Basically, there is one bolt at the end of the tank by the seat. Take off that bolt and lift the tank. It is held in front by a couple of rubber cushions that fit on frame mounts.

You have the same bike as I do. Most of the information on that site will apply directly to your motorcycle. Take some time are read through all of the information there.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff
      Last edited by Guest; 08-06-2011, 04:06 PM.

Comment

Just a note to the wise...... When you remove the tank, make sure you put it someplace completely out of the way so you are not tripping over it, dropping tools on it and any other bad thing that can happen.

Take your time. Eventually you will be able to take your tank off in about 3 minutes and not think twice about it. You can drain the gas by disconnecting the gas line leaving it on the carbs and immediately connecting another gas line to the fuel petcock and put it on prime to drain in you garge gas tank.

Comment

Thanks for the advice. i thought maybe the petcock was to stay with the lines connected to the carbs...my bad.

so i can just ease of the vacuum and fuel lines from the petcock i take it?

i know...lots a questions eh? lol

Comment

Be aware that there will be a bit of gas in the line when you pull it off the petcock....just have a rag to catch those few drops, don't be alarmed.

Comment

Yea or just leave the fuel line on so you have something to put the gas into a gas can with. Remove the fuel line from the carb side (just pay attention to where it came off from so you can put it back on right).
              Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
              1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
              2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
              Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
              and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

I also lay out some towels to sit the tank on so it does not get scratched. But that's just me.

Comment

Working...
                X