Could that be..?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Could that be..?

So my oil drain plug has been leaking very slowly for a bit now. Been working on other projects so I hadn't gotten around to looking at it until today. I pulled the plug and to my dismay I found this (photo attached). I'm wondering if anyone has seen this before and knows whether or not this is what I think it is. Located in the threads of the plug is very thin metal, I can 'unscrew' it from the plug and it appears to be the threads from the inside of the oil pan. I have a new plug here, but I'm not going to be putting oil in the bike again for a little while, so I won't be able to check it, figured I'd check and see if anyone had seen this before.

Thanks all.

Sure.. I've seen it on stripped bolts before.
    -1980 GS1100 LT
    -1975 Honda cb750K
    -1972 Honda cl175
    - Currently presiding over a 1970 T500

Comment

Yup, that there is a few thread coils from your oil pan. You can either risk it, heli coil it, weld it and drill/tap next to it, replace the pan, drill/tap for something bigger....or use the force to hold your oil in. Some would argue this takes away too much of your focus from riding, but tomatoes tamatoes.

Comment

You can also get a 1/2 over-sized/self-tapping drain plug to replace it for about $5-8.00.
        I would just remove the stripped threads from the bolt, clean the threads in the pan with a rag and brake cleaner, apply a little ulta-copper to the threads of the old plug and install it dry.
        Let it set-up for a few hours before adding new oil and check for leaks after a short 30-50 mile ride.

Daniel

Comment

That would be my "risk it" option. And it would honestly be what I would try, although I'd suggest checking for leaks before riding. Worst you'll loose is a little time and an oil change.

Comment

A helicoil kit worked for me. No leaks.

Comment

I removed some bolts from my valve cover and 3 bolts have that same thin metal on it and I was never able to tighten them back on. That's why oil slightly leaks at those 3 spots... Right onto my exhaust lol...

Comment

Originally posted by 7981GS View Post
                You can also get a 1/2 over-sized/self-tapping drain plug to replace it for about $5-8.00
                Daniel
                I'm interested in the over size drain plug idea, only can't seem to find one anywhere..?

Comment

Originally posted by Flaming Chainsaws View Post
                  I removed some bolts from my valve cover and 3 bolts have that same thin metal on it and I was never able to tighten them back on. That's why oil slightly leaks at those 3 spots... Right onto my exhaust lol...
                  Be careful with those small oil leaks, they tend to open up with time and leak more. I had that happen on a long trip and ended up with an oil soaked leg, back tire and brakes for most of it.

-Dave
                  82 GS1100E
                  five asses because it's far superior to having just four!
                  Yes, I watched too much South Park!

Comment

Working...
                  X