Haynes or Clymer?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Haynes or Clymer?

I have a friend who recently purchased an '05 Suzuki Boulevard C50. I will be helping her maintain the bike so I want her to buy a service manual. I always get the factory manual but don't think that is necessary in this case since I'll be doing mostly routine maintenance.

Since I have never used either Clymer or Haynes manuals I would like to hear your opinions of both. What are the good and bad aspects of each? Which would you prefer to use?

Thanks,
    Joe
    IBA# 24077
    '15 BMW R1200GS Adventure
    '07 Triumph Tiger 1050 ABS
    '08 Yamaha WR250R

"Krusty's inner circle is a completely unorganized group of grumpy individuals uninterested in niceties like factual information. Our main purpose, in an unorganized fashion, is to do little more than engage in anecdotal stories and idle chit-chat while providing little or no actual useful information. And, of course, ride a lot and have tons of fun.....in a Krusty manner."

Haynes manuals show you how to work without the use of special tools. For example in the GS750B-N manual they show you how to make a cam follower tool out of some heavy gauge sheet metal.

Clymer manuals have full color wiring diagrams. Pretty cool.

They are both very comprehensive and thorough so it's basically flip a coin and see.

That being said I have Haynes manuals for all three of my vehicles and I plan to get one for my wife's 2011 Taurus as soon as I see them on the shelf.

Comment

I have used Haynes manuals for decades. I have always liked the way they are laid out and the photo's that show a guy's hand ACTUALLY performing the task that is being described. Started back when I had british cars and have bought them since. However, on my bikes I download the factory service manual of the world wide web.
      I have seen too many posts on other forums of incorrect information being listed in Clymer manuals to trust them. Although here people seem to prefer them. Maybe their Suzuki GS version is spot on...

Comment

Of the two, I prefer Haynes.
        Neither can replace the factory manual, but you know that already.

Comment

Why not get both? I've found that there are some things that Haynes does better with and some that Clymers does better at, so me being the way I am I would just get both if they are available.

You can never go wrong with having multiple how to sources.

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote." Benjamin Franklin, 1759

Comment

Originally posted by wacky941 View Post
            Why not get both? I've found that there are some things that Haynes does better with and some that Clymers does better at, so me being the way I am I would just get both if they are available.

You can never go wrong with having multiple how to sources.
            I've never used Haynes for a motorcycle, but I prefer them for cars. I find that the pictures in the Clymer manual are sometimes not so great.
            Current Bikes:
            2001 Yamaha FZ1 (bought same one back)

Comment

I always prefer the factory manual !
              Clymer 2nd best
              Seen errors and mistakes in haynes books..wrong torque numbers and such. That made me weary.

Comment

I find Haynes manuals particularly useful when one chair leg is shorter than another or I need something to get a fire going......

They are notorious for oversimplifying procedures and missing out vital bits of info or just printing stuff which is clearly wrong. They are probably responsible for around 25% of the work I end up fixing on other people's bikes.
                79 GS1000S
                79 GS1000S (another one)
                80 GSX750
                80 GS550
                80 CB650 cafe racer
                75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
                75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

Having both is handy as they often describe different procedures in different ways & give different pics. If I can get them for $3 on Ebay I'll buy both....

Both usually need some level of interpretation & you can't always rely on them as "wrote".

Joe - for a mechanic of your ability I would say either will give you enough information for you to do a good job.

1980 GS1000G - Sold
                  1978 GS1000E - Finished!
                  1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
                  1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
                  2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
                  1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
                  2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Just for the sake of comparison, I have all three manuals for my 850s: Factory, Clymer and Haynes.

Of course, there is little doubt that "factory is best". Like the others, I find that each of the others has its strengths and weaknesses. Overall, I would give the nod to Clymer over Haynes for the 850. Not sure how other models would do in that comparison.

That is not to say that the Clymer is without problems. One of the biggest ones is a very incorrect wiring diagram. Fortunately, most amateur mechanics are confused enough by a diagram already, so they would not notice, but if you are trying to trace a wire and it does not make sense, it might not be you, it could be the diagram.

sigpic
                    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                    Family Portrait
                    Siblings and Spouses
                    Mom's first ride
                    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Answer is easy; factory...

I have a reproduction factory one for my 450 with all the addendums, plus the Clymer and Haynes.

The Clymer has been good, but not detailed enough in some areas.

The Haynes led me astray twice, once because the torque figure for the gear change drum detent plunger bolt was listed as twice what it should be, with the obvious result.

The factory repro one has been great and I got it for something like $30 on eBay from NZ.

This is the eBay store:

Need an out-of-print workshop or replacement parts manual? Bought a classic, veteran or vintage bike and need help now that it’s in pieces on the floor of your garage? We at www.e-classicbike.com are an essential resource for enthusiasts who need information to continue their restorations.

They say if they don't have it listed to contact them, and it comes bound and everything too.

Not sure if he has modern stuff or not but worth a query I would say...
                      1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
                      1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

Working...
                      X