Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tachometer Sticking

Model: 1977 GS750

Problem: Tachometer sticking i.e. sluggish movement with throttle. No resolution with application of a little WD 40 in cable/instrument panel junction. Now looking to remove tachometer from crankcase with intent to grease cable after removal from cable housing.

Questions:
    (1) Does the aluminum retainer plate [attached to the crankcase via screw] have to be removed?
    (2) Will turning the 'fluted' bolt/fitting counterclockwise [with pliers] remove the house/cable from the aluminum retainer plate thus crankcase?

thanks in advance.

kjg_1977gs750

If you just want to remove cable to clean and lubricate it, I'd say no to #1 and yes to #2. Remember to note how far inner cable stuck out at tach gage end, so you are sure it's fully seated into drive at cam cover head when you reinstall. If inner cable is frayed, replace.
    1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Mine was jumping around also, Took it off, flushed the housing with carb cleaner, soaked the cable itself in parts cleaner, drip dry and reassemble with light coating of grease. Worked great after. One tip, though. There is a 35 year-old o-ring and seal in that tach drive that mounts to the head. 1 bolt and it's in your hand. 5 minutes to replace the seals and you've avoided a future oil leak.

Comment

Working...
      X