Speedometer delay

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Speedometer delay

Is the speedometer on a '79 gs850 direct drive with gears inside or does it use some sort of magnet system or? When I accelerate quickly it seems that it takes a while for the speedometer to catch up with my speed. For example if I accelerate hard from a stop to 6k in third gear my speedometer will only be at about 20mph when I hit 6k in 3rd. If I hold it at this rpm the speedo needle will slowly climb to the correct level. Does anyone else's bike do this? If it's direct drive off the front wheel I don't know what could cause this phenomenon.

Check the cable and the wheel adapter and make sure they turn freely otherwise Chances are the grease in the speedo is dried up...

Comment

My 78 750 did that. A few QUICK squirts of penetrtaing oil into the guage ends where the cable connects and some riding freed it up. But yeah check the speedo gear on the axle and the cable itself is cleaned and lubed. I take a long piece of welder wire and pull a strip of cloth down the cable sheeth to clean it like cleaning a gun barrel and rub a smear of grease on the core and reinsert it.
      MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
      1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Working...
      X