Oil Pressure Switch Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oil Pressure Switch Question

I recently developed an oil leak on the top of the oil pressure switch on my '81 1100. Do these have a gasket or o-ring that goes bad? It's leaking on the top part which looks to be like a plastic nut.

O-ring
    Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

I don't see any reason why it would be leaking on top of the oil pressure switch (plastic nut thingy) unless it's loose or broken.

But there is an o-ring that is right under the oil pressure switch housing.

Part number: 16448-45000

Still available from the online parts houses for $5. I have a complete oil pressure switch assembly with the o-ring if you need it though.

Comment

The oil is definitely coming from that plastic nut-looking thing. It must be cracked somewhere. Area below that is dry. Can these plastic nuts be replaced?

Comment

Originally posted by 81zuke View Post
          The oil is definitely coming from that plastic nut-looking thing. It must be cracked somewhere. Area below that is dry. Can these plastic nuts be replaced?
          Yes, they can be replaced but check it first before buying. It might just be loose.

The original part number is 37820-45061 but it has been superseded with part number 37820-45050.

It's about $16 online brand new. But also remember that I have a complete oil pressure switch assembly for cheap.

Comment

Just went out into the garage to have a look. I was able to tighten it bit not much. Ill run it tomorrow and see if it still leaks. How much $ for yours? If it still leaking I can PayPal you. Keep you posted tomorrow.

Comment

Just went out into the garage to have a look. I was able to tighten it bit not much. Ill run it tomorrow and see if it still leaks. How much $ for yours? If it still leaking I can PayPal you. Keep you posted tomorrow.
              Yeah, check yours first.

Here's mine. $10 shipped to you. Includes everything you see (two bolts, o-ring, oil pressure switch, oil pressure switch housing). I'll even clean it up for you.

Comment

No need to clean it I just don't want it leaking. Mine is leaking between the bottom of the nut and the plastic housing that the nut is on. We'll see tomorrow after I take it for a ride if its still leaking after I tightened it some. May have a hair-line crack.

Comment

No need to clean it I just don't want it leaking. Mine is leaking between the bottom of the nut and the plastic housing that the nut is on. We'll see tomorrow after I take it for a ride if its still leaking after I tightened it some. May have a hair-line crack.
                  I just cleaned it. Tell you what. Since this thing is untested, I'll put it on my bike to see if it leaks or not. I will let you know tomorrow!

Comment

Mine was leaking out the plastic nut where the brass contact comes through.
                    You can disassemble the whole thing (removing the contact from the nut), clean it up, and reassemble with a bit of case sealer around the contact.
                    This solved my leaking issues that continued after replacing o rings and rubberized washers.
                    I posted up a thread about it here somewhere. Probably in the engine section. I used Hondabond 4 to seal mine up.

Comment

I've noticed a heavy oil leak on my 850 recently. The oil was flowing around the block and even in front. Mostly after a long ride.

After a thorough cleaning I noticed oil coming up all around the oil pressure switch. It looked like it was coming out the top where the electrical contact is as well.

I cleaned everything again and pulled the pressure switch. The o-ring was smashed very flat. I replaced that with a good Viton ring and tried pushing the contact though like Smokenapankake did. Mine would not budge so I just put it back in with the new o-ring. Looks like it stopped leaking.

So, eventhough it may look like it is coming out of the electrical connection it may just be the o-ring.

Just a suggestion.

Chris

ETA: I took mine for a 20 minute ride last night and still not a drop from that area. And, no oil anywhere else. It's crazy how far the oil from the oil pressure switch would migrate just from the turbulent air flowing around the motor while riding.
                      Last edited by Guest; 08-21-2011, 06:57 AM. Reason: Additional info after test ride.

Comment

Ok I took it all apart cleaned and replaced the o ring and it hasent leaked yet. Thanks flaming chainsaw for your offer but looks like I wont be needing one and thanks everyone for your tips. This site is the best!

Comment

Working...
                        X