Shorter cable

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shorter cable

My recently accquired '77 750 has flat bars which makes the clutch cable take a circuituos route to the casing and leaves me with way too much slack for the adjusters to take up even after adjusting the operating mechanism. What are my options for a shorter cable?
    I've consulted the Old Tech forum which i can't post on, dunno why, and mention is made of 1000s or katana cables are these viable options for a 750?
    Thanks.

Look to a smaller bike, like a 450T without bullhorn bars, for cables. You might get creative with bicycle cable wires but the ends need to have tips and that is a problem.
    1981 GS650G , all the bike you need
    1980 GS1000G Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely

Comment

Call MotionPro. Find their site online and click on "contact us" for the number. They can make anything you need in a custom length, usually for around $50. If you want to fabricate your own cable, try Flanders cables for every part you will ever need.

Comment

You must have some serious push bikes over in the U.S, Brit' ones have cables thinner than shoes laces but i'll look into the 450t idea, thanx.

Comment

If push come to shove custom made cables is an option but i'd prefer to try and get a standard GS cable off another model but thanx for the heads up on cable maufacturers, any info' is good info'.

Comment

I had the same problem when I swapped the bars on my GS750. Throttle cables were too long, making the throttle stick. I adjusted the clutch cable, and it seemed OK, but yesterday I noticed that the clutch cable is badly frayed (e.g., halfway to snapping), so I am picking up a shorter one of those as well.

For the throttle cables, I measured the existing cable (internal line from end to end) and then looked through the throttle cables available from Z1. Turned out that some PO had put longer cables on the bike (43"-44") and the cable that Z1 listed as standard (39") was shorter. So I picked 2 $15 cables (push/pull throttle) and they work perfectly.

For my clutch, the old cable measures out to about 55" and the replacement that Z1 lists as standard for my bike is 51." I think that PO went long on this one too. So I will try the $12 cable and see if those 3"-4" are enough to tighten her up.

Before you custom order cables at $75, take a measurement and see if one of the shorter standard lengths will pick up the slack you want to lose.

Comment

Working...
            X