Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Drive chain

Hi Guys,

My 83 GS550L needs a new chain. It appears to be stretched and doesn't track well around the rear sprocket (too much play even between sprocket teeth and it's noisy). The sprockets themselves look in good shape but I'll probably replace them as well. What I can't figure out is exactly what to order. The manual calls for a D.I.D. 50 HDL or an RK 50 SMO with 112 links. Can't find this listed or cross-referenced anywhere. Is this actually just 530 chain? I think the pre-1983's used 110 links but can the adjusters make up for the difference?

Thanks,
    Jeff

I have a 1980 GS550L. I know this bike uses a 530 chain that is a 110 links. Just to confirm your thought. I don't know specifications of your bike.

Comment

This link may prove helpful:

As might this one:

Looks like a 530-112, so any 530 chain with 112 links should do. You may need to check sprocket availability and adjust the chain length if you cannot get OEM size sprockets.

You should replace your sprockets, unless you'd like to buy a new chain again much sooner than expected. They tend to wear together, so your new chain will wear very quickly on the worn sprockets.

Comment

Man, what a difference a good chain makes! Installed the chain and sprockets today and couldn't believe how much quieter it is. Clutching and shifting are a lot smoother too.

Thanks guys

Comment

Working...
        X