Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gear selection during city riding

Fellas-

Kind of a different question here. I have rode many bikes throughout the years, as well as many manual cars. So, I am accustomed to normal "top" city driving to take me no further than 4th gear.

However, I have noticed (based off my hearing of revs), I am shifting into 5th gear on my bike even at lower speeds (45mph-55mph). Do you guys dissent from this? I have never abided by visual rpm's when shifting, always by hearing. I noticed this is a very high-revving bike! When I WOT from first to second, the bike screams with very little rev difference. Other bikes, there is a noticeable declination in RPM's when going from first to second. Just something I noticed.

Any comments?

Dependent on traffic conditions and the bike I'm riding (850 or 1100) I ride in city traffic anywhere from 2nd to 5th gear. The 1100 handles well at 35mph in 5th (it's real torquey), while I tend to use 3rd and 4th on the 850 (mainly because I've got to rebuild the carbs again). If the bike's engine is "lugging" and "pinging", maybe you'd better use a lower gear. If you want to impress people with the sound of a a high revving engine, you can stay in 2nd up to about 60 mph or so also.

Comment

When I had a new GS550 in 1979, I routinely shifted all the way up to 6th before I reached 40 mph, even between traffic lights, and I'd do a dramatic downshift if I needed to accelerate from cruise. On the highway, I'd rev it up to speed (2nd or 3rd gear), then string-shift up to 6th once I got to 70 mph. I got more than 50 mpg that way. Now, with the same bike (not tuned as lean as stock), I often never get higher than 3rd or 4th. I have more power on tap at any given time, but I get only about 35 mpg.

Comment

Hi,

For my bike, I try to have the engine running around 4000 rpm (the beginning of the power band). In third gear that's 40 mph for me. In third I can do anything between 30 mph - 90 mph and I have plenty of "get up and go" should I need it to get out of the way. I try not to lug the engine in city (or suburban) traffic.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff
        Last edited by Guest; 09-16-2011, 03:20 PM.

Comment

I try to stretch every drop of gas, but not at the cost of lugging the engine (that actually wastes gas). I'll use 5th as low as 35 mph, if I'm going down hill, to let the bike coast without effort. But on an uphill or riding two-up I usually shift on the 5s (i.e., 1-2 shift at 15 mph, 2-3 at 25...).

I don't watch the gauges too much any more, doing it more by sound and feel. Overall I get 50 mph in normal riding.

Comment

This bike is very tolerant of snoozing along in 5th gear- I often drift thru towns at 25 mph in 5th and being lazy, just accelerate off with no sign of lugging. A steep hill at 50 mph doesn't get any complaints either. So just do what feels and sounds good to you.
            1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by IanDMacDonald View Post
              Kind of a different question here. I have rode many bikes throughout the years, as well as many manual cars. So, I am accustomed to normal "top" city driving to take me no further than 4th gear.

However, I have noticed (based off my hearing of revs), I am shifting into 5th gear on my bike even at lower speeds (45mph-55mph). Do you guys dissent from this? I have never abided by visual rpm's when shifting, always by hearing. I noticed this is a very high-revving bike! When I WOT from first to second, the bike screams with very little rev difference. Other bikes, there is a noticeable declination in RPM's when going from first to second. Just something I noticed.

Any comments?
              The gearing on any individual bike will differ. I try to ride in the most efficient gear with my butt-o-meter. If the engine is lugging, I need to downshift. If it is revving too much, I upshift. It also depends on traffic. I run in a lower gear in traffic so I have an easier time getting the heck out of the way if I need to.

Comment

Interesting Replys!

Thanks fellas! I thought it sounded right to be riding in 5th, thanks for confirming my suspicions!

P.S. This city is not congested enough in traffic to justify the "get out of here" lower gears. If need be, I jam on the brakes and pray.

Comment

I try to run my bike no lower than 3k rpm, means 4th around town, and 3rd if I want more snap. 5th only on the highway. Stock gearing. It does more than 100 mph in third, and on the highway I like to stay in 4th for more jump.
                  The mechanical advance kicks in around 2500 rpm.

Comment

Originally posted by IanDMacDonald View Post
                    Fellas-

Any comments?
                    An old bastard one told me that I should shift at max vacuum in any gear as that was an indication of best engine performance.

Modern cars suffer lugging very well but old bikes with rpm and cfm specific tuning do not forgive.

Comment

I usually ride around in first until my rev limiter kicks in.
                      1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                      1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Getting on the parkway, I usually leave it in 3rd gear, then run it up to 60, shift rapidly up to 5th and run at 65 to 70 going to work. In heavy traffic, I'm down in 2nd for the most part (speed under 20mph). Found that the mileage tain't bad for the bike's age (82 GS650L) - getting 50 mpg for the most part during the week, battling traffic.
                        In town, I'm usually in 4th gear, not lugging the engine at all.

Al

Comment

Some people say that you shouldn't lug a roller bearing crank. I have gotten into the habit lately of doing just that though, short shifting at 2500 or so and using quite a bit of throttle through the gears below the power band. Its fun on a thousand.

Do whatever you like. You're not going to hurt it I don't think.

Cliff's idea of keeping it ar an RPM where it is close to comming into its best acceleration potential is very logical.

Your 650G doesn't have a roller bearing crank BTY, but most GS's do.
                          sigpic Too old, too many bikes, too many cars, too many things

Comment

There is little or no charging that takes place on these bikes below three or four k. It also takes more gas to lug a bike along below it's power band than to keep the revs closer to it where the engine is most efficient. These bikes were designed to be wound out, so have at it!
                            "Men will never be free until Mark learns to do The Twist."

-Denis D'shaker

79 GS750N

Comment

Gear selection during city riding

On purpose or by mistake ? My bike is very forgiving of absent minded shifting. I can start from a stop sign or light in 3rd. If traffic is brisk I like to keep the revs up (1st & 2nd). If Im on a deserted blvd Ill poke along at 45mph in 5th.
                              82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

Working...
                              X