No announcement yet.

Gear selection during city riding

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

An interesting topic and timely for me. As an avid reader and collector of anything MC related, especially riding manuals I've just been re-reading Reg Pridmore's manual. I find a lot of his teachings to make a lot of sense. In the manual, he suggests 4 cycl bikes should be ridden in 2nd or 3rd gear between 6000 and 8000 rpm in town. His reasoning is primarily for safety in that you always have the "oomph" to get out of the way if its required.

When I read this I thought that would be annoying so on my last ride Sunday I was trying it out. I must say it does feel uncomfortable,noisy and tiring to me even at 6K. At 4K in 3or preferrably 4 is more comfortable for me and that's generally how I ride. In heavier traffic where I might need to step out quickly I'm usually in no higher than 3rd.

As mentioned, though, it depends on the bike. With parallel twins like the old XS650 there was a really noticeable sweet spot around 2700 rpm in each of the first 3 gears. Other bikes will also have have an optimum rev range in each gear.

I'm still experimenting.

Cheers,
    Spyug

Comment

I shift in the 3500-4000 rpm range most of the time. I did forget once on the 1100 though, and shifted deep in the red line, about 13000 rpm I think. No damage done, but it doesn't alert me by the sound of the engine like the 850 does when I'm into the redline.
      On the charging note, I have a voltmeter, and both of my bikes charge adequately in the lower range (unless I've got my heated vest and grip heaters turned on, then I do better over 4k rpm).

Comment

Reg is probably referring to 'modern' fours which rev way above what a GS will. Seems to me that 4k is plenty to keep on tap for evasive maneuvers, perhaps a little more on a smaller four, you get the idea.

If someone has a bike that charges at 2k they have a much better system than many of us, certainly than me. Then again I'm still running all original components, yes a separate regulator and rectifier so SHHHHHHHHH! I won't complain as long as it keeps doing it's job.
        "Men will never be free until Mark learns to do The Twist."

-Denis D'shaker

79 GS750N

Comment

Allie, I have to agree with you about the charging. I put an LED voltmeter on mine, and it really does not reach the sweet spot in charging unless I am around 3500-4000 rpm. And for a smaller engine, I say let it rev. Revs don't hurt, lugging the engine can hurt. Noise isn't really a factor either, since my GS is 100% stock.

Comment

As far as the first post, I find that I shift at about 4K when out on the open road and it sounds right. If I'm poking around in town and linger at about 3.5 K for a while it begins to sound higher and more busy and tricks my ear so that I shift earlier. Especially with a 4 into 1 exhaust.
            1983 GS 1100 Guided Laser
            1983 GS 1100 G
            2000 Suzuki Intruder 1500, "Piggy Sue"
            2000 GSF 1200 Bandit (totaled in deer strike)
            1986 Suzuki Cavalcade GV 1400 LX (SOLD)

I find working on my motorcycle mildly therapeutic when I'm not cursing.

Comment

Ive always wanted a tall stick shift on a bike....it'd be kinda neat for a
              change.

Comment

scroll down for stick shift
                1983 GS 1100 Guided Laser
                1983 GS 1100 G
                2000 Suzuki Intruder 1500, "Piggy Sue"
                2000 GSF 1200 Bandit (totaled in deer strike)
                1986 Suzuki Cavalcade GV 1400 LX (SOLD)

I find working on my motorcycle mildly therapeutic when I'm not cursing.

Comment

Shift

I have no idea. My bike lets me know when to shift.
                  1980 GS1100E, the latest of many.

Comment

2 min.video clip- Neutral gearbox selection/pre ride-check of charging systen voltage at RPM:before country/village ride to gather data for Mr.Ian Macdonald's post question,won't be gear shifting in a city for awhile though,will report findings in future.
                    Last edited by Guest; 10-27-2011, 12:23 AM. Reason: sp

Comment

Originally posted by elrico View Post
                      2 min.video clip- Neutral gearbox selection/pre ride-check of charging systen voltage at RPM:before country/village ride to gather data for Mr.Ian Macdonald's post question,won't be gear shifting in a city for awhile though,will report findings in future.
                      I'm not saying some bikes don't charge that low, but most stock GSs don't from what I gather, and mine certainly doesn't. They are notorious for being marginal at best below 3k.
                      "Men will never be free until Mark learns to do The Twist."

-Denis D'shaker

79 GS750N

Comment

I hear you Allie, on that.Fortunate this one,charges at all.hope it lasts so we can shift outa 'N" and go someplace and return home without calling for MoTow.Hated seeing Suzie hitching a ride(s) etc.Met a lot of good samaritans over the last 16yrs.w/her though..I still/always carry batt.jumper cables for me/us or to help others when possible.Lots of H-D folks would stop and check on us,i think it was mainly caus' I had helmet off and showed lots of grey/silver hair,am old H-D rider too,I help em all right back when possible,Even car/truck drivers helped me out.There are some good folks still out there :thankfully

Comment

My GPz shows the same charging characteristics. Is is common among the stator/R-R systems? IDK. As a youth (I was one once) I was taught to rev the engine, so I have never had a charging issue in town.

Comment

I'm going to have to rethink my shifting patterns. I usually shift well below 4k. I also cruise all around town in 5th. Hmm...

Comment

I just got back from a little jaunt on my bike to run a couple of errands, and did I read you all's responses wrong? I shifted, at most with 3k on the tach. I suppose the exception would be from 4th to 5th.

Comment

I ride around in town at 4 to 5 grand all the time, just because I like it way it sounds. Besides these bikes love to rev.
                                Larry D
                                1980 GS450S
                                1981 GS450S
                                2003 Heritage Softtail

Comment

Working...
                                X