No announcement yet.

Gear selection during city riding

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Most of my riding is in the city, and I tend to hang around at 3,000 RPM, unless I am accelerating up to speed.

I find the lower gears to maddeningly torquey, so cruising around at 4-5k or more seems pretty uncomfortable. That said, I may be using a "car ear" for shifting instead of a "bike ear."

Comment

Glad to see my post provoked a little thought! But, I think MisterCylinders hit it dead on the money! Using a car-ear on a bike is not the way to go about riding our GS's. These bikes are high-revving and like to be rode that way!

I have noticed after starting this post that my shifting patterns have changed, and I no longer ride in 5th gear anymore. In-fact, 5th is for highway only now. As for 4th gear, I upshift to that when I get tired of the noise of the engines RPM's. My bike loves 40 mph in 3rd gear. It sounds so smooth, like a brand new engine! As for riding around in 2nd in the city, no way! I'm in 3rd gear by the time i hit 35/40 mph, and usually stay there unless I am slowing down.

3rd gear seems to be the best gear for instant torque when necessary! I now only use 4th gear for longer stretches of road where stopping is not all that necessary.

My recommendation for the 'GS650L with stock everything would be 3rd gear in steady city traffic, and 4th gear as soon as you hit the open road.

Comment

I dont think I ever get out of third gear in the city. On purpose. I want the juice to be right there if I need it.

Mpg in city riding situations isn't worth risking my booty over.
        Besides, you'll get the worst MPG you'll get just about in stop and go riding through traffic lights. Wasn't quite so obvious on the GSes, but on my ZRX I get terrible mileage in the city. Roughly 33mpg. Get out on an open road and nt whack the throttle through the gears and I'll see 47ish.
        Miles per gallon is more a result of how you accelerate vs how you cruise.
        You take off quick from light to light, it will not be very high. But if you baby it from light to light, you'll get run over around here.

Comment

Originally posted by TheCafeKid View Post
          I dont think I ever get out of third gear in the city. On purpose. I want the juice to be right there if I need it.

Mpg in city riding situations isn't worth risking my booty over.
          Besides, you'll get the worst MPG you'll get just about in stop and go riding through traffic lights. Wasn't quite so obvious on the GSes, but on my ZRX I get terrible mileage in the city. Roughly 33mpg. Get out on an open road and nt whack the throttle through the gears and I'll see 47ish.
          Miles per gallon is more a result of how you accelerate vs how you cruise.
          You take off quick from light to light, it will not be very high. But if you baby it from light to light, you'll get run over around here.
          You always seem to know what you're talking about CafeKid, so I'll go with that.
          Last edited by Guest; 10-27-2011, 09:38 PM. Reason: you're, not your

Comment

Originally posted by frijoles-and-beans View Post
            You always seem to know what you're talking about CafeKid, so I'll go with that.
            Haha! Smoke and mirrors man. Smoke and mirrors.

Comment

Haha! Smoke and mirrors man. Smoke and mirrors.
              You always have the answers on any number of motorcycle issues. Oh, and you avoid off-topic discussions, I've gotta say that's pretty smart.

Comment

Originally posted by frijoles-and-beans View Post
                You always have the answers on any number of motorcycle issues. Oh, and you avoid off-topic discussions, I've gotta say that's pretty smart.
                Well anything I know I either learned through pain, frustration, trial and error or all three. Or by listening to many of those on here who know better than I.

And ive had a few OT adventures. I just usually say my bit and leave it at that. No need for cyber-fisticuffs.

Comment

This thread has been a huge help to me (the noob rider). After finally getting it running right (no carb overflows, 4K idles, etc... ) I just rode my GS for the second time to work today (after the new clutch push rod seal ) that was the first time... gave out about 500 feet from where I needed to park , trucked it home . Probably 25 miles or so to work and was in 6th gear when I could get up to speed without traffic. I can definitely see the difference of using the car-ear to the bike-ear. Gonna try out my bike ear tomorrow.

Comment

Well anything I know I either learned through pain, frustration, trial and error or all three. Or by listening to many of those on here who know better than I.

And ive had a few OT adventures. I just usually say my bit and leave it at that. No need for cyber-fisticuffs.
                    They should rename OT to The Romper Room.
                    1983 GS 1100 Guided Laser
                    1983 GS 1100 G
                    2000 Suzuki Intruder 1500, "Piggy Sue"
                    2000 GSF 1200 Bandit (totaled in deer strike)
                    1986 Suzuki Cavalcade GV 1400 LX (SOLD)

I find working on my motorcycle mildly therapeutic when I'm not cursing.

Comment

Working...
                    X