Lifting to center stand.. luggage rack

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lifting to center stand.. luggage rack

I have a 79 850 with a luggage rack on the rear. This rack is supported by a flat, thin piece of steel about 1/8" x 7/8" which is bolted to the shock mount and frame. It is the kind that pivots backward or forward as a lumbar support/back rest for the passanger or driver. It is in the way of the bike lift handle and I cannot get a grip on the handle and the rack is too flimsy to lift on... so I can't get my bike on the center stand. I do like the luggage rack and would really like to find a nicer one... If I get one made of heavier steel would it be safe to use this as a bike lift as well?

thx,
    tp

It shouldn't take much effort to get it on the center stand. Push hard on the lift point.
    Very nice looking bike you have there.
    Is the exhaust in as good of condition as it looks in the picture?

Daniel

Comment

If you roll the bikes rear tire onto something (I use a couple fence plank cutoffs) it becomes much easier to get the bike onto the centerstand

Comment

My lift handle has also been removed for pannier brackets.

My method:

1. Right toe on the lift point
        2. Left hand on the left handle bar grip
        3. Lift the left pillion foot peg with right hand

Coordinate all three lifting up and back. Try to place maximum force on the lift point of the centre stand.
        Johno

current rides 1981 GS1000G and 2005 GSX1400
        1977 Kawasaki KZ400 D4

previous bikes 1978 GS1000HC
        1977 GS400
        1974 Montesa 250
        1960s Kawasaki 175

Comment

Originally posted by Johno View Post
          My lift handle has also been removed for pannier brackets.

My method:

1. Right toe on the lift point
          2. Left hand on the left handle bar grip
          3. Lift the left pillion foot peg with right hand

Coordinate all three lifting up and back. Try to place maximum force on the lift point of the centre stand.
          This is what I have done with the 1100G.

I have also done as Souske suggested, and kept a short piece of 2x6 ...(six inches long) in the trunk or saddlebag.

It saw double-duty as a base for the sidestand when parking on gravel or soft areas a few times, before I tried a steel electrical outlet cover plate for that. I have forgotten them a couple of times before driving away, but the cost is small and they are available at any hardware store..
          Bertrand Russell: 'Men are born ignorant, not stupid. They are made stupid by education.'

Comment

Thanks..for the lifting suggestions.. and yes, aside from some discoloration and a little rust up by the engine the pipes are in good shape.

Comment

I've had the exact same bike except with the stronger rack. Like you say you can't have the pull handle on while you have the rack on but the rack serves fine as a pull handle as long as you're using the method already given. Of course though it is harder to do with side bags on. You can see some pictures of my old 850 with the rack on it in one of my albums. Nice bike you have there by the way.
              Rob
              1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
              Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

Hi,

My lift handle is gone due to my luggage rack. I just grab the frame under where the handle used to be. The trick is to put both feet of the center stand on the ground and push down hard with your right foot rather then lift so much with your right hand. Don't pull with your left hand (on the handlebar) at all. The bike should jump onto the center stand.

Maybe I'll make an instructional video "How to put your GS850G on the center stand".

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Part of your problem may be the springs. That bike looks like it is really sagging low on the stock springs, which makes it very hard to lift onto the stand. If it's low enough you actually have to lift the bike, rather than rolling it back onto the stand. It looks like this one is that low.
                  http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

It does seem a bit low. I haven't looked at any new springs.. or even where the adjustment is on these yet. And a big thanks to everyone for not telling me to eat my Wheaties

Comment

SUCCESS!! 2x6 and a smarter grip did the trick!! Thank you much!!

Comment

Working...
                      X