Derusting chrome exhaust

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by chuck hahn View Post
    No steel wool WILL NOT SCRATCH CHROME OR DULL IT..Your foil will.

Interesting, I did not know that and will avoid aluminum in the future. I have seen many sites talking about using the foil method.

Any idea as to why steel wool will not scratch and aluminum will?

Thanks,
    Dave
    82 GS1100E
    five asses because it's far superior to having just four!
    Yes, I watched too much South Park!

Comment

Not a clue really..all i know is that it doesnt. It will swipe the rust and any loose edges around any pits off but the chrome is left TOTALLY unharmed. And the WD40 just loosens and disolves the rust particles in a way that just crazy. makes a nasty brown mess that will wash of with some dish soap but other than the mess it really works well. And of course its gonna take some good old fashioned time and elbow grease. It isnt like you spray it on and it magically evaporates or something.
      MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
      1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

After removing the rust and pitting, what do you all use to keep the rust from coming back?

Comment

Ill just put these here...

Wd-40 with steel wool and aluminum foil. Then mothers chrome polish.

Comment

Originally posted by chuck hahn View Post
            Not a clue really..all i know is that it doesnt. It will swipe the rust and any loose edges around any pits off but the chrome is left TOTALLY unharmed. And the WD40 just loosens and disolves the rust particles in a way that just crazy. makes a nasty brown mess that will wash of with some dish soap but other than the mess it really works well. And of course its gonna take some good old fashioned time and elbow grease. It isnt like you spray it on and it magically evaporates or something.

That was kinda how the aluminum foil and chrome polish worked for me. No real sign of major (new) scratches. Granted my pipe is not perfect and I would not recomened using this unless there was major rust and nothing really to lose. Definitely looks better than it did but by no means is it showroom condition.

-Dave
            82 GS1100E
            five asses because it's far superior to having just four!
            Yes, I watched too much South Park!

Comment

Good info from all. Thanks! Used the 000 steel wool + wd-40 approach. Really rough/tight areas got a bit of diluted naval jelly and brass wire brush. Now if only i could get rid of them blues.

Pipes coming along nicely tho... not perfect, as exhausts have some road rash and dents, but acceptable.

And, as Ringo once said... "I've got blisters on my fingers!!!"
              '80 GS1000ST
              '92 ZX-11
              Past rides: '79 GS1000SN, '84 GPZ900R

http://totalrider.com/

Comment

Working...
              X