Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Things to check after going down?

Hey all,

So, my GS550L went down yesterday (long story short: guy in front of me rear ended guy in front of him, it was wet, and I grabbed too much front brake). I'm ok, but things got dinged up on the bike. I've already got new bars and a turn signal on the way, but are there things to check that may not immediately be obvious?

I had to get it off the busy street, so I rode it to the nearby parking lot. It starts, idles, throttles up and down, and doesn't leak. So nothing's cracked. It broke the ignition cover, but that's more just to keep water out, so I'm not too concerned about that (I am looking for a replacement though). I figure I'll need to realign the headlight, and make sure the front and rear wheels are still aligned to the frame. Anything else I should check out?

As far as gear goes, my helmet and upper half never hit, I sacrificed my rain paints, and my armored riding pants will be getting some hip protection. Ow. Beyond that, (and a scuffed boot), it's all still very useable. A successful off, if there ever was one.

Good to hear that you had the gear and it worked!

Make sure your fork tubes are straight .. check your brake lines for tears.

Comment

Forks were compressing pretty well, so it seemed like they were straight. Brake lines are SS, so I think they're pretty good. I'll check tonight to make sure the fittings are ok and nothing is leaking.

Thanks for the tips though, I wouldn't have thought about the brake lines.

Comment

Put a good straightedge on your fork tubes .. a little kink in them can cause handling issues.

Comment

Sounds like you and the bike are in good shape, and all you need are some replacement parts. Everyone should be that lucky.
          sigpic
          Steve
          "The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page." :cool:

Comment

Hi,

I'm thankful that you're pretty much OK, less any scrapes and bruises.

Make sure that your wheels are still properly aligned. Check that the chain is not binding, no alternating tight spots and loose spots. Have someone ride behind you to make sure your bike is tracking straight. Will it go straight if you take both hands off the handlebars? Check the front brake lines, calipers, and rotors for damage. Check that your battery hasn't spilled acid all over under your seat. If so, use baking soda to neutralize it and clean it up. It will eat your paint and leave the frame unprotected to rust.

Ride safely.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

mriddle - The forks seemed to be moving ok, but I'll check them for straightness.

sedelen - I was feeling pretty thankful after I had finally gotten home. I'm glad things turned out as well as they did.

BassCliff - I haven't checked to see if it will go straight, since the handlebars are bent and it was hard enough riding with both hands. I'll check alignment and the chain before I get it back on the road. I haven't completed my dual disc conversion yet, and the bike went down on the right, so there's no damage to the brakes. I didn't specifically check for battery acid, but I did have to take the seat off to get my insurance and registration out, and didn't see anything.

Thanks for the help! I've got a busy weekend ahead making sure she'll ride as good as new.

Comment

I'm glad to hear you are okay. Sure hope you are back on the road soon.
                Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
                1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
                2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
                Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
                and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Glad to hear you faired relatively well. I would also suggest checking your brake lever for any cracks. And, might as well change your oil and filter since the bike was on it's side for a few minutes, just in case any gas seeped into the oil.

Brad bk

Comment

Ah, good point on the oil. I'll do that.

I've looked at the brake lever. It got a bit ground down, but it is fine other than that.

Comment

Prop the front end up so you can turn your forks freely. Make sure theres no damaged bearings or roughness since that would be bad to find out one day on a turn.

Comment

Working...
                      X