Dheck the bolts on your splines

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dheck the bolts on your splines

Something that should be done every time you have the rear wheel off. I put a new back tire on the 1100G at the beginning of the riding season, didn't do this. Friday night there was a funny noise from the rear wheel on the way home. Turned out, when I pulled the wheel off yesterday, that a bolt backed out. The locking clip was still bent over, but it apparently was not tight enough on the bolt head. No major damage done, but now I'm putting blue loctite on the threads as well as making sure the bent tabs are tight against the bolt head.
    Last edited by Guest; 10-11-2011, 11:05 AM. Reason: spelling

Good point, Dan.

Make sure your bolts are tight then grease your splines with Honda Moly 60.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Hi Dan,

I'm glad you are a stickler for maintenance. Losing a bolt back there could cause trouble. I appreciate the advice too. I'll give mine a close look at my next tire change.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Originally posted by DanTheMan View Post
        Something that should be done every time you have the rear wheel off. I put a new back tire on the 1100G at the beginning of the riding season, didn't do this.
        Seems to me that if you had pulled the spline hub to check it's condition (like I thought you are supposed to ), you would have had to tighten the bolts anyway.
        1982 GS1100GL Citrus County, FL

a rare outsider and was only built until 1983. Who still has one, it gives her so little.

Comment

I don't normally pull the splines every time I change tires. I grease them, and will pull them for inspection if it looks like something may be wearing a lot.

Comment

Working...
          X