Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tachometer's making noise

Hi everyone,

I have FINALLY gotten all the little bugs worked out on my bike and I'm riding regularly. There is something new (there's always something new) that is going on with it now.

The tachometer is making a terrible whirring sound, and I'm afraid I'm probably close to breaking it. I'm assuming that I need to take it apart and grease the gears in it...I think. Is this the fix? If anyone knows the proper procedure to get my tach back it good shape, I would greatly appreciate it.

Ricardo

Originally posted by frijoles-and-beans View Post
    The tachometer is making a terrible whirring sound, and I'm afraid I'm probably close to breaking it. I'm assuming that I need to take it apart and grease the gears in it...I think. Is this the fix? If anyone knows the proper procedure to get my tach back it good shape, I would greatly appreciate it.

Ricardo
    Look here...

I had one that started screaming right up until the cable failed at the tach end connection. The root-cause might be that the inside of the tach needs cleaning/lubrication.
    sigpic
    1981 Suzuki GS750E (one owner), 1982 Suzuki GS750T (my "tinker" toy), Previous (First) Bike: 1979 GS425 (long gone)
    2002 Suzuki Bandit 1200S (new to me in 11/2011)

Comment

Hi,

Take it apart, clean it, lube it. Start with the easy stuff. Lube the cable and squirt your favorite lube up there in the hole where the tach cable connects. If that doesn't work you'll have to take the tach apart for cleaning and lubrication.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

My 78 750 had that buzz / whirring sound ehwn I first got it. I shot a few (quickly ) squirts of white litium grease up the bottom with the little straw...never came back.
        MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
        1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Thanks for that guys,

Hahaha, I was fixing it like you guys said and the female threaded piece on the cable broke when I was putting it back on the second time. The first time, I used some of that lithium grease with the little spout like you said Chuck, and I still heard the noise. I guess I'm going to have to take the tachometer apart like Cliff said. I have the cable disconnected at the rear of the tach, but i covered it with a piece of plastic bag and a rubber band to seal it off. Works just fine for now and no whirring, of course.

I already ordered another cable for it just a couple of hours ago. While I'm waiting for the cable I'm going to take apart the tach and get it ready. I appreciate all the info guys.

I've had so much trouble with this cycle, fixing something here and another thing there, that I'm certain that I will have a perfect bike soon. Something else will break, no doubt, but I suspect that it will be a while until then.

Comment

The nylon gears need a bit of guage safe grease on them when you open it up Clean any grime and and out with a Qtip and some rubbing alcohol so you dont chemically damage any gears and such plastic bits.And yes thats how 33 year old bikes act...and then another thing breaks..LOL
            MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
            1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

I just got my tach cable in a few days ago. I installed it yesterday. I took the tachometer off and TRIED to take it all apart, but I couldn't get the face-plate off. Does it screw on and off? I just couldn't get it off, so I took your advice Chuck, and used alcohol but instead of q-tips I doused it and shook the device around until I was sure that the gears were clean. I did this three separate times, and then I let it dry. As soon as it was totally dry, I squirted plenty of white lithium grease up that little threaded piece. I shook it around while it was upside down to get that grease in all the little crevices.

I put it back together and it is working sooo nicely now. It doesn't quiver up and down anymore, it doesn't make a sound, and now it seems to work as if it were new.

Lots of good advice, guys, thanks. Problem solved.

Comment

There is no way to remove the faceplate. I had to dremmel mine apart and then glue back together. Glad you got it working..

Comment

wow thNKS IT WORKED SPRAYED CHAIN LUBE IN THE DABED A BIT OF GREASE ON THE END OF THE CABLE NOSIE GONE! WOOHOO THE 81 GS850G RIDES QUIET AGAIN LOL

Comment

Working...
                  X