Location for Owners Manual

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Location for Owners Manual

A question for those who were around when these bikes were made. I seem to remember that the owners handbook/manual was located under the seat of the bike for reference when the rider had problems when out on a ride. Am I correct or just having a senior moment.

Was there a place on the bike to carry the owners manual? And if so where was it? Under the seat? If so, what held it in place, etc.

Yes, it was general practice to place the owner's manual under the seat. On a bike with a tail piece like yours, it was "usually" slipped under there. They weren't much use, but nice to have "just because".

Comment

You had accurate SeniorMemory moment on that one(or was it two?). Like said on body work tailpiece there is box or compartment w/lid or door that seals/closes,like a car 'glove box" idea.Usually just large enough to store a not too bad tool kit,secured via strong rubber strapping w/hook.Owner's manual slipped into box resting on top of tool bag.neat and handy usually remained dry also.Still have owners manual,it is quite good/usefull actually,I think to have/carry on bike.Good for senior or junior "moments"
      Last edited by Guest; 10-23-2011, 09:29 AM. Reason: sp

Comment

Yes, well I thought that the duck-tail compartment would have been the obvious place to store it, but it will not fit in there unless it is folded in half. I have three owners manuals for my 550 and none of them have been folded in half before. And I cannot see where a rubber strap and hook arrangement would have fitted. I had a Honda 4 in 1971 and I feel sure it was retained under the seat in some way. By a large wire clip or some such thing.

Comment

A bit different than I first thought,I see your point better now,will think on it some more.

Comment

Originally posted by elrico View Post
            A bit different than I first thought,I see your point better now,will think on it some more.
            Thanks Elrico. Will wait on your reply. And others hopefully.

Comment

On my 83 750, it was put in the tail. Whether that was the dealership or not I don't know. I remember because I asked when picking up the bike.
              Old age and treachery will beat youth and skill every time1983 GS 750
              https://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4256/3...8bf549ee_t.jpghttps://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4196/3...cab9f62d_t.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by bccap View Post
                On my 83 750, it was put in the tail. Whether that was the dealership or not I don't know. I remember because I asked when picking up the bike.
                Thanks BCCAP. That could be the same with my bike. Maybe they bent the manual in half but not severely enough to crease it. I will go and check again.

Comment

I have never seen one bent in half from the factory. When I looked at the parts fiche, it did not appear there would be room back there for a manual. That is why I said "usually".
                  Mine won't fit back there either, btw. Not sure why. Pretty frustrating.

Comment

Mine just needed to be slightly curved to get it in. Funny, I can remember where it was originally, but I can't remember where I put it and the registration when I stored it. Oh well, its around here somewhere.
                    Old age and treachery will beat youth and skill every time1983 GS 750
                    https://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4256/3...8bf549ee_t.jpghttps://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4196/3...cab9f62d_t.jpg

Comment

Where ever you put it, try putting it in a zip lock baggie.
                      MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
                      1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Booklet

Every time I've purchased a new bike, the owner's manual was handed to me along with the keys and all the other paperwork. There's really very little of value in them, especially compared to a shop manual.
                        1980 GS1100E, the latest of many.

Comment

Great period memerorbilia items for display w/motorcycle in museum or or whatever fancies one desire. Some are more usefull than others though,have 1950's H-D Sporster handbook,talkin' bout how to use spark advance/retard while riding. Still thinking Don...

Comment

Originally posted by rockford View Post
                            Every time I've purchased a new bike, the owner's manual was handed to me along with the keys and all the other paperwork. There's really very little of value in them, especially compared to a shop manual.
                            I bought my 1981 as a left-over in Mar of 1982. I'm lucky to remember that much detail . I DO know that my owners manual was supplied in a zip lock bag along with some safe riding tips brochures. And it has never been carried on the bike.

I know this because it's still in the same bag with the same ole stuff.....
                            sigpic
                            1981 Suzuki GS750E (one owner), 1982 Suzuki GS750T (my "tinker" toy), Previous (First) Bike: 1979 GS425 (long gone)
                            2002 Suzuki Bandit 1200S (new to me in 11/2011)

Comment

Yup, my '82 owner's manual is about 1/4" thick and came with the ownership papers. It has a pink cover. Good information if you know nothing about the bike, but at this point, I see no reason to actually find a place for it while I ride.

Comment

Working...
                              X