excelleration issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

excelleration issues

hello gs world. i just recently brought a 1982 gs1100g. It has 14,000 miles on it the previous owner had let it sit for 4 yrs. He sold it to me for $400 dollars. he told me that the tank was empty when he put it up and the bile was run till it stopped when he put it up for the winter. I checked the carb bowls, they were clean and looked exceptionally well. I changed all the fluids and put on new fuel lines. checked the spark plugs. all looked good . the petcock was frozen and the fuel line portion was missing. I took the tank off and pored gass in the new gass line.till i could not put no more in. Hit the starter and it turned over a couple times and it started. Ran fine. i reved it up and it started cutting out out at around 3400 rpms. I put more fuel in the line and tried it again. It cut right off. i checked the floats and tey all were at 22mms I thought the points were possable fouled but some one had allready changed them to eletronic. the plug wires are 8mm and the coils are axcells. it all seams to be fireing well. am i missing an advance on the bike and where is it. or is there something else i could be missing?

Originally posted by 73challenger View Post
    or is there something else i could be missing?
    A service manual.
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

You can get said service manual from BassCliff's site

Your bike never had points, it came from the factory with electronic ignition

The problem you're having could come from a bad ignitor, dirty carbs, air leaks or improper tuning. Or, just not enough available fuel

Why not put the gas tank back on and put more gas in it and see what happens?
      1978 GS 1000 (since new)
      1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
      1978 GS 1000 (parts)
      1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
      1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
      1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
      2007 DRz 400S
      1999 ATK 490ES
      1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Greetings and Salutations!!

Hi Mr. 73challenger,

Let me dump a TON of information on you and share some GS lovin'.

I just stopped by to welcome you to the forum in my own, special way.

If there's anything you'd like to know about the Suzuki GS model bikes, and most others actually, you've come to the right place. There's a lot of knowledge and experience here in the community. Come on in and let me say "HOoooowwwDY!"....

Here is your very own magical, mystical, mythical, mind-expanding "mega-welcome". Please take notice of the "Top 10 Common Issues", "Top 15 Tips For GS Happiness", the Carb Cleanup Series, and the Stator Papers. All of these tasks must be addressed in order to have a safe, reliable machine. This is what NOT to do: Top 10 Newbie Mistakes. Now let me roll out the welcome mat for you...

Please click here for your mega-welcome, chock full of tips, suggestions, links to vendors, and other information. Then feel free to visit my little BikeCliff website where I've been collecting the wisdom of this generous community. Don't forget, we like pictures! Not you, your bike!

Thanks for joining us. Keep us informed.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Are you running with the stock Airbox assembly?
          If so, good. If not...bad.

Ensure everything is airtight.

Also make sure to plug the vaccum line off, if you are running without a gas tank.
          This line feeds from the middle top of the Carb rack and normally runs up to the gas tank, on the petcock area.
          Last edited by Guest; 10-31-2011, 03:09 PM.

Comment

Working...
          X