Can these be polished

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can these be polished

OK, so I am doing my rebuild/restore, and I am looking at all the side covers, and well they look like crap, they are dull, pitted, weathered, and so on....

So by looking at my pics here, do you think that they can be polished back up, if I say sand them down, progressively going finer and finer, and then use a buffing wheel to buff to a shine, and then seal with some varathane or something like that...

Or sand them down smooth, and paint, black ?

What you all say ??????

This is just the one side, the other is just as bad........

Thanks for any and all tips

Yes, they can be brought back. Lots of work is all.
    Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Go for it. Use paint stripper to remove what's left of the lacquer and begin with 400 grit or higher. If you start too coarse it'll take a ton of elbow grease to get the scoring out. Good luck mate!
      -Mal

"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." - B. Banzai

78 GS750E

Comment

Time and elbow grease....sounds like fun

I will give it a try

Thanks

Comment

use wet dry sandpaper and lots of water with a drop of dish soap

Comment

noted, Thanks

Comment

I use very fine-grit sand paper, which is used for paint repairs without removing too much clear coat.(it's a black sand paper at autozone.)

But I've have pretty good luck with that.
              It doesn't take too long once you get the feel for it.

Comment

Originally posted by 1_v8_merc View Post
                I use very fine-grit sand paper, which is used for paint repairs without removing too much clear coat.(it's a black sand paper at autozone.)

But I've have pretty good luck with that.
                It doesn't take too long once you get the feel for it.
                First step to cleaning up the covers is to strip all the clear off using paint stripper.

As far as sandpaper goes, I start with 320 grit because anything finer takes forever to remove the corrosion pitting.

BTW, there are tons of different polishing threads all waiting for someone to find using the search feature.
                Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

I did all of my alloy with 400, 600 and 1000 grit and finished off with Mothers Mag polish. Came out quite well.

This stuff is excellent....

The finest car care waxes, polishes, and cleaners available anywhere.

Comment

The valve covers will be a bit harder to polish, but should respond well to fine paper.

Here are before and after shots of my son's 850: (not quite as bad as yours, though)

With a little more time and effort at the buffing wheel, you can have results like this:

sigpic
                    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                    Family Portrait
                    Siblings and Spouses
                    Mom's first ride
                    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Wow, that carb bowl is amazing! I just went from kinda wanting to polish my stuff up, to really wanting to.

Comment

Hi, as you can tell by the pics from members those cases are more than recoverable from their present state and here is what is possible with alloy hubs and rims, and yes it is the same hub and not some scam pic, cheers.

Before:

After:

After:
                        Badgezz, we don need noh stinkin' badgezz!
                        Shin-Ken 1074
                        1982 GSX1100SXZ Wire Wheel Katana - BOM Nov 2011
                        1981 GSX1135 Katana Build completed Mar 2024, Curb Weight, all fluids and 21 lt fuel = 206 kg.

Comment

Hi Gatekeeper, now that you have seen what the cases can turn out like, if you have an alloy swing-arm why not give it a polish as well?

Badgezz, we don need noh stinkin' badgezz!
                          Shin-Ken 1074
                          1982 GSX1100SXZ Wire Wheel Katana - BOM Nov 2011
                          1981 GSX1135 Katana Build completed Mar 2024, Curb Weight, all fluids and 21 lt fuel = 206 kg.

Comment

WOW.....some really nice polishing there guys.....

I am not new to polishing, I just maybe the parts I had were to far gone, to get them back to a nice sheen, worst case scenario I can buff out as much as I can and then do a satin finish on them instead, I really did not want to paint them.

And yes I have the aluminum swingarm as well, and some other bits that are aluminim, will look at giving them a polish as well

I have done some polishing in the past on other items, but they were not in the state the covers are..

So I guess, it should be about the same, just a bit more work in the begining....

You have all given me the inspiration to try and get it done....

Thanks

Comment

Sisal(sp)wheels and a good bench grinder, or a big motor.
                              I pulled this motor off of a table saw my neighbor gave me before he moved.
                              It's unstopable, literally you can not stop it without turning it off.
                              I bought the sisal wheels from an ebay seller for cheap.(not pictured)
                              These parts were way worse than yours, pits and all.

sigpic

82 GS850
                              78 GS1000
                              04 HD Fatboy

...............................____
                              .................________-|___\____
                              ..;.;;.:;:;.,;.|__(O)___|____/_(O)|

Comment

Working...
                              X