To the Melbournians among us

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

To the Melbournians among us

Hi - Where do you guys from Melbourne (Oz) get your GS maintenance parts and spares from? Do you have a favorite parts dealer that stocks or has access to GS parts a reasonable price? I hear that Stafford and Mick Hone motorcycles stock some GS bits but I would like to know if you have had any experience with them (good or bad). Am I better off sourcing what I need from interstate or overseas and paying the freight?

Any info that you may have would be greatly appreciated.

G'day, Check out this still active thread:

1979 GS750E

Comment

Originally posted by Coady View Post
      G'day, Check out this still active thread:

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=185711
      Ah - thanks for that. I sourced bits from SuziParts some time ago during my GT550 rebuild as I lived in Adelaide at the time. I found them a little expensive for some items compared to the local Suzuki dealer but I might give them a call anyway.

Cheers

Comment

Syd, Kessner Suzuki in Adelaide are pretty good, but you would need to include freight as well as purchase.

Comment

Suziparts are hideously expensive.
          I try to avoid them until all other avenues are exhausted.

The internet is your friend Syd.
          With the fall of the US dollar parts and postage are a lot cheaper now.

Comment

Originally posted by Suzuki_Don View Post
            Syd, Kessner Suzuki in Adelaide are pretty good, but you would need to include freight as well as purchase.
            Kessner Suzuki - now they are a blast from the past. I bought my GS 750 from them. I didn't realize they were still around. My brother lives not far from Kessner's and he's coming over the Melbourne soon, might be able to save on freight

Thanks for the tip

Comment

Originally posted by Leigh View Post
              Suziparts are hideously expensive.
              I try to avoid them until all other avenues are exhausted.

The internet is your friend Syd.
              With the fall of the US dollar parts and postage are a lot cheaper now.
              Thanks for the confirmation Leigh. As I mentioned in my first note of this thread , I used SuziParts for some bits when I was doing my 550 rebuild, and yeah, they did appear to quite expensive.

On the subject of part procurement. Iv'e been looking at some carby rebuild kits from http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/200582437...#ht_500wt_1156

They work out to be just a little over $20 per carb delivered. What's peoples thoughts on non OEM carb rebuild kits?

Comment

Originally posted by Syd View Post
                Thanks for the confirmation Leigh. As I mentioned in my first note of this thread , I used SuziParts for some bits when I was doing my 550 rebuild, and yeah, they did appear to quite expensive.

On the subject of part procurement. Iv'e been looking at some carby rebuild kits from http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/200582437...#ht_500wt_1156

They work out to be just a little over $20 per carb delivered. What's peoples thoughts on non OEM carb rebuild kits?
                Hey Syd... don't do it!

Go to www.cycleorings.com and support one of our fellow forum members by buying your O rings from him, and he may also have a nice set of stainless steel socket head screws so you can ditch those dodgy Philips ones.

Get OEM gaskets to go with the O rings and screws and your carbies won't know themselves

Generally the after market carb kits are crap going by what I've seen on here...
                1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
                1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

Originally posted by pete View Post
                  Hey Syd... don't do it!

Go to www.cycleorings.com and support one of our fellow forum members by buying your O rings from him, and he may also have a nice set of stainless steel socket head screws so you can ditch those dodgy Philips ones.

Get OEM gaskets to go with the O rings and screws and your carbies won't know themselves

Generally the after market carb kits are crap going by what I've seen on here...
                  Thanks Pete and others - This is exactly the sort of advice that I am after. As you may or may not know, I have recently re-entered to wonderful world of GS and I'm grateful to be able to tap into the experience of those that have gone before me.

Comment

Originally posted by Syd View Post
                    Thanks Pete and others - This is exactly the sort of advice that I am after. As you may or may not know, I have recently re-entered to wonderful world of GS and I'm grateful to be able to tap into the experience of those that have gone before me.
                    No worries Syd, just parroting what has been said here numerous times what is definitely worth repeating

Robert Barr is the man when it comes to carb O rings. He supplies quality ones for the carbs and intake boots for a very good price and it's definitely worth the wait for them to arrive from the US. Mine were pretty quick, less than 10 days from memory.
                    1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
                    1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

suzy gs1000 parts in aust..........

hi i always ring steve at mick hone in box hill,,,,, they are great to deal with steve knows his parts well ,,, another great place is Z1 in the usa ,,, you get great service from them ,, i purchased oversize jets for my 1980 gs1000e and at a fraction of our prices in aust. again i purchased of a fellow member of gsresources a set of american progressive springs delivered new un opened in 5 days for 1/2 the aust price,,, as well as that all the great knowledge that has helped me from more learned members ....regards oldgrumpy

Comment

Working...
                      X