stuck screws

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

stuck screws

im looking for advise for getting out Phillips head screws from the bottom end of the motor i tired one of those impact screwdriver things and the p.o. rounded/stripped them just enough that it wont bite at all... someone told me to try to chisel them around till they are loose... and im not having any luck there... any ideas?

try to cut a slot in it ? use a dremel tool or a small grinder to cut the slot, maybe apply some heat to it as well

Comment

As the japanese screws are so soft, simply take a phillips bit and drive it into the stripped screw with a hammer.
      After it has cut deep new grooves, hit it with the hand impact driver and they will come right out.

I found a pic. I place the bit in a 5/16" socket with adapter socket and wack it with a big hammer.

Daniel
      Last edited by Guest; 12-13-2011, 01:19 AM.

Comment

Knock the screw head sideways with a drift and hammer and then try to unscrew it. Vicegrips, or whatever will grip the head of the screw.

Comment

If you've got the time, I'd put a few drops of penetrant on the interface between the head and the mating surface. Personally, I go so far as to put a few drops on that area from time to time to make sure it doesn't go dry before giving it a good whack as described above. A few choice words prior to hitting it seems to help also.
          Willie
          Common sense has become so uncommon that I consider it a super power.

Present Stable includes:
          '74 GT750 Resto-mod I've owned since '79
          '83 GS1100E (The best E I've ever enjoyed, Joe Nardy's former bike)
          '82 GS1100G Resto project

Comment

PB Blaster is your friend. Besides that, I agree with both the slot-cutting and Phillips-hammer reforming methods of getting a bite on that screw.

Also, remember that Japanese Phillips-head screws are a different design from the rest of the world. The slot is cut at a different angle. This means that the sides of a standard Phillips driver don't make full contact against the screw, which leads to the stripping. You can find JIS drivers for cheap on Amazon.

Comment

Bob, if you smack the phillips bit with a hammer, the soft screw BECOMES a U.S. phillips.
              No need to waste money on un-nessesary tools.
              Often, just the smack will break the fastener loose and off they come...

Daniel

Comment

I would try the cut a new slot with a dremel and use the flat bit in the impact. Heat the crap out of it and then give it a good hard solid smack.

EDIT::: If theres locktite on the screws, which there probably will be, heat each one and once it starts to loosen remove it and THEN move onto the next one. The heat will soften the locktite but if it cools too much it will reset itself.
                Last edited by chuck hahn; 12-13-2011, 01:35 PM.
                MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
                1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Before you cut slots and chiseling, you could try firmly hitting the screw head flat with a hammer, dont go mad, you are trying to close up the stripped cross. when the cross is closed up you can take the impact driver bit and hammer it back into the head thereby making the screw fit the bit then without wiggling it all about refit the impact driver twist it and whack it with the hammer a good stiff wallop.
                  Always worked for me.
                  If the head is too far gone then chiseling it is the way to go just make sure you use the correct size chisel and it's sharp.
                  sigpic

Don't say can't, as anything is possible with time and effort, but, if you don't have time things get tougher and require more effort.

Comment

Be sure and replace them with stainless steel allen head screws so this won't happen again.

Comment

thanks for all your help ive done everything except the dremmil only because i do not have one... and i just seem to be making things worse... have tempted to take it to the suzuki shop and let them deal with it

Comment

this may make me sound/look really stupid but is there some kind of way to fill the holes and the hammer with a phillips head?

Comment

If all else fails drill off the head to seperate the parts then you will have the shank of the screw to work on.Get it really hot then try a pair of vice grips or even weld a larger nut to the stub and wind it out.One trick with taking out screws is to try and tighten them a little before undoing.Saves damaging the head of the screw
                          Last edited by Guest; 12-13-2011, 06:49 PM.

Comment

Of course, I meant: Use JIS screwdrivers on the screws that aren't ruined in this and future service operations, so that they won't become ruined.

Comment

#10 Today, 03:28 PM koolaid_kid Be sure and replace them with stainless steel allen head screws so this won't happen again.
                              And use lots of anti-sieze on the SS allens

I have also used LH drill bits with a reversable drill going slowly, the drill will "catch" to break the screw loose. Once you break the bond you can usually get a screwdriver or vise grip on the screw to remove it the rest of the way.
                              82 GS850L - The Original http://s224.photobucket.com/albums/d...ePics067-1.jpg
                              81 GS1000L - Brown County Hooligan http://s224.photobucket.com/albums/d...ivePics071.jpg
                              83 GS1100L - Super Slab Machine http://s224.photobucket.com/albums/d...t=DCP_1887.jpg
                              06 KLR650 - "The Clown Bike" :eek: http://s224.photobucket.com/albums/d...nt=SERally.jpg
                              AKA "Mr Awesome" ;)

Comment

Working...
                              X