Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How remove the tumblers from an ignition lock?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How remove the tumblers from an ignition lock?

Need to get into my 78 1000 ignition switch to see why it's locked in one position.Searched but all I get says there is a blind roll pin I need to press in.I see 3 of those 120 degrees apart.Are those what releases the tumblers?

A guy here did a pictorial.
    Some of the locks are rolled together at the top but this dude fixed his by turning the roll pins out.

I think he used a screw to bit the inner diameter.

Comment

send a PM to Rustybronco..he has pics ...
      Last edited by chuck hahn; 12-19-2011, 01:12 AM.
      MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
      1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Did you get them out..or the lock to finally turn???
        1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

No to both,Should be similar to what you did with the cap locks.Can't seem to get the wire trick to work though.So we have references these are the threads I'm talking about.Rustybronco/Chuck's thread http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=178407 and Alder's thread http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...+lock+tumblers ,bee trying to get the roll pin's out with about the same success as getting the wire to work.I have a good body to put the mechanism in.Just need to get them both out.
          BTW do NOT bake the paint on an ignition lock

Comment

I'd link you to my thread, but it looks like you've found it

Comment

Originally posted by Adler View Post
              I'd link you to my thread, but it looks like you've found it
              Yes I did with the right words plugged into search.Trying to get the pins out without messing them up.No joy so far.

Comment

Unless I am seeing the pics wrong...even if you drill or otherwise remove the roll pins youve only allowed the removal of the entire barrel. This still leaves the tumblers inside it. Now granted it may be easier to depress the retainer so the tumblers will slide out, but doing the roll pins seems like an ADDED step that simply going down the keyhole will eliminate. You may be using a wire thats too big around. Use just a small paper clip with a 90 bent at the end. Make the dog leg about 3/16 inch long and like Dales post says...stick it in and find the hole on whatever side it is on..I believe it is at the BOTTOM of the cylinder.Then ever so slowly retract the paper clip from the hole and lift it up off the bottom. The next thing youll feel is the edge of the retainer pin. Now just another .015 or so up and press towards the bottom and you should be able to depress the retianer. If its depressed you will be able to lift on the paper clip and the tumblers will slide out the top.

Comment

Originally posted by chuck hahn View Post
                  Unless I am seeing the pics wrong...even if you drill or otherwise remove the roll pins youve only allowed the removal of the entire barrel. This still leaves the tumblers inside it. Now granted it may be easier to depress the retainer so the tumblers will slide out, but doing the roll pins seems like an ADDED step that simply going down the keyhole will eliminate. You may be using a wire thats too big around. Use just a small paper clip with a 90 bent at the end. Make the dog leg about 3/16 inch long and like Dales post says...stick it in and find the hole on whatever side it is on..I believe it is at the BOTTOM of the cylinder.Then ever so slowly retract the paper clip from the hole and lift it up off the bottom. The next thing youll feel is the edge of the retainer pin. Now just another .015 or so up and press towards the bottom and you should be able to depress the retianer. If its depressed you will be able to lift on the paper clip and the tumblers will slide out the top.
                  This is true. To get the plug out you only really need to depress the pin that is holding it in.

The large pin sticking up on the left is the retaining pin. Push that down from the inside and the whole plug should slide out.

Comment

Just had a thought...I am wondering if the key is just worn down to a point that it isnt depressing the pins in the tumbler enough??? Maybe someone with the same 3 digit lock code can send you one of their spares to try it in there..if it works you can use there key to make yourself a good one. OR..you can take the key code to a locksmith and have them cut you a new one to try????

EDIT...I once spent 45 minutes trying to get the ignition to turn on my 78 1000C...then discovered i had the wrong key in there...just sayin.
                    Last edited by chuck hahn; 12-25-2011, 11:53 AM.

Comment

Oddly there are no paper clips at home so I got a piece of wire from work.Might be to big or I'm lacking the finesse to do it that way.Will get a paper clip and try that.It is the easier solution.
                      Thanks for the replies.

Comment

I added an edit about me grabbing the wrong key..it can happen with several zook keys in the bowl!! I felt pretty dumb once i realised the folly.

Comment

some where some ones bike is being stolen on christmas

Comment

Its not a secret that any crooks dont already know.

Comment

Originally posted by platinum2 View Post
                              some where some ones bike is being stolen on christmas
                              Where do you get that idea from?
                              Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
                              1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
                              2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
                              Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
                              and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Working...
                              X