GS850G fork oil capacity ??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS850G fork oil capacity ??

I've just started a 1980 GS850G restoration.

Can anyone tell me what capacity of fork oil to put in the forks?

Thanks.
    Jack

241 ml per fork.

Comment

241? Thats precise

Thanks for that. Much appreciated.

Comment

It's the level that's important - not the volume. The manual shows you how to measure and gives you the figures.
        79 GS1000S
        79 GS1000S (another one)
        80 GSX750
        80 GS550
        80 CB650 cafe racer
        75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
        75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

Originally posted by RHODESIA SMITH View Post
          241 ml per fork.
          I will respectfully disagree and offer this clip from the manual:

sigpic
          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Although I agree with Steve, I have found that bikes sold in different markets from ours often have differing fork oil capacity specs.
            Where was the OPer's bike originally sold? North America, Europe, Africa, Australia, etc.?

Daniel

Comment

Originally posted by hampshirehog View Post
              The manual shows you how to measure and gives you the figures.
              I'm certain it does.

But if I had a manual. Why would I be asking on here?

Would you care to share this knowledge?

Comment

Thanks for the clip from the manual.

If i can ask....

What does special tool 1 look like so I can make my own?

What the hell is adjustable clip 2?

And where is the 140mm measured from?

Comment

Originally posted by vk2cjc View Post
                  But if I had a manual. Why would I be asking on here?

Would you care to share this knowledge?
                  Certainly.

Since you have not yet introduced yourself on the Owner's Forum, our resident Welcome Wagon expert, BassCliff, has not seen you to give you the full welcome package.

Click HERE to get your own copy of the "official" Welcome.

Once you navigate in his site a bit, you will find a copy of the factory manual for your bike. Click HERE to download a copy for yourself.

sigpic
                  Family Portrait
                  Siblings and Spouses
                  Mom's first ride
                  Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)

Comment

Thanks for the clip from the manual.

If i can ask....

What does special tool 1 look like so I can make my own?

What the hell is adjustable clip 2?

And where is the 140mm measured from?
                    The "special tool" for measuring fork oil level can be made by using the pump from a squeeze bottle, with the lower tube cut to the proper length.

The adjustable clip mentioned is an adjustable stop on the "special tool" to set the oil level.
                    If you make your own tool, you will only need one length, so cut your tube to that length.

The 140 mm is measured from the top of the fork to the top of the oil.
                    Please note that the forks need to be vertical, the springs removed, the forks completely collapsed.

sigpic
                    Family Portrait
                    Siblings and Spouses
                    Mom's first ride

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                      The 140 mm is measured from the top of the fork to the top of the oil.
                      Please note that the forks need to be vertical, the springs removed, the forks completely collapsed.
                      Thank you Steve, that is exactly what I needed to know. And thank you for the link to that brillaint website. And a big fat thank you for the link to the service manual. Brilliant. I knew this would be the place to ask

The manual must be the american model. Mine is a little different. Vacuum carbs, no air pressurised forks. But 99% the same.

By way of introduction...
                      I have restored a GS850GL when I liked in the UK. But now live in Australia and have just picked up a GS850G. Its running fine but needs a bit of sorting out.

cheers
                      Jack

Comment

Greetings and Salutations!!

Hi Mr. vk2cjc,

I see Mr. Steve has already pointed you toward the documentation collected on my little website. I would also like to draw your attention to how I measure the fork oil level, documented in these guides:

Install Progressive Fork Springs

Fork Seal Replacement

And I would like to greet you with the proper "mega-welcome".

So let me dump a TON if information on you and share some GS lovin'.

I just stopped by to welcome you to the forum in my own, special way.

If there's anything you'd like to know about the Suzuki GS model bikes, and most others actually, you've come to the right place. There's a lot of knowledge and experience here in the community. Come on in and let me say "HOoooowwwDY!"....

Here is your very own magical, mystical, mythical, mind-expanding "mega-welcome". Please take notice of the "Top 10 Common Issues", "Top 15 Tips For GS Happiness", the Carb Cleanup Series, and the Stator Papers. All of these tasks must be addressed in order to have a safe, reliable machine. Now let me roll out the welcome mat for you...

Please click here for your mega-welcome, chock full of tips, suggestions, links to vendors, and other information. Then feel free to visit my little BikeCliff website where I've been collecting the wisdom of this generous community. Don't forget, we like pictures! Not you, your bike!

Thanks for joining us. Keep us informed.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Its running fine but needs a bit of sorting out.
                          Part of that "sorting out" WILL involve checking valve adjustment.

It's mentioned in the list of things to do on BassCliff's site, and he mentions a software tool that I offer.
                          Follow the instructions below for that tool.

sigpic
                          Family Portrait
                          Siblings and Spouses
                          Mom's first ride

Comment

Working...
                          X