Oil drain plug.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oil drain plug.

Can someone let me know what size socket I need to use on the oil drain plug on a 78' GS 550?

Thanks.

I can try to check mine tonight but I want to say it's a...

I was wrong. Check out this thread I found in the search feature - http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...l+drain+socket

It's a 21mm
    Last edited by cowboyup3371; 12-28-2011, 05:53 PM.
    Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
    1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
    2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
    Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
    and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Thanks cowboyup. Much appreciated.

I was just about to head out and buy a 20mm (that was what I guessed it to be)

Bruce.

Comment

I would ensure you get the 19, 20, and 21 as you'll need them. Plus, you'll want a 24 for the rear wheel and a 30 and 32 for a couple of other areas

1981 GS550T - My First

Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die

Comment

I use a 13/16 combo wrench on mine. But I have clearance and am filthy cheap
          especially in areas of false economy.

Ahh Crappy Tire beckons.

Comment

Originally posted by cowboyup3371 View Post
            I would ensure you get the 19, 20, and 21 as you'll need them. Plus, you'll want a 24 for the rear wheel and a 30 and 32 for a couple of other areas
            Too late. I went and got the 21 right after your post.
            I do have to go back tomorrow to get a drain pan anyway (I don't know where I thought I was gonna drain the oil into in the first place. duh)
            So, I will pick up a 20,21,24,30 and 32 (already have the 19).

@rustyjeep: crappy tire! you must be rich! (kidding)
            I went the Princess auto route.
            $2.50 a socket for rarely used sockets
            works for me. The rest of my tools are
            a little higher quality.

Bruce.

Comment

What is the length of the thread in metric & the total length of the bolt, as i need to do an oil change, but the bolt is right above my 4-1 pipes. Need to know if i must also buy exhaust gaskets in case i need to drop the exhaust to remove bolt.

Comment

Originally posted by Roadkill2 View Post
                What is the length of the thread in metric & the total length of the bolt, as i need to do an oil change, but the bolt is right above my 4-1 pipes. Need to know if i must also buy exhaust gaskets in case i need to drop the exhaust to remove bolt.
                I am no expert but you will have to drop the pipes to drain the oil if you have a 4 into 1 pipe.

Unless you have monkey fingers....

Comment

Those o-ring exhaust gaskets are reusable, but it never hurts to have a set on hand "just in case".

Comment

And they aren't that expensive Roadkill. You should put your bike info in your signature block so we could possibly be able to help you out better.

1981 GS550T - My First

Comment

Originally posted by brslk View Post
                      I am no expert but you will have to drop the pipes to drain the oil if you have a 4 into 1 pipe.

Unless you have monkey fingers....
                      Some pipes you do, some you don't. I never had to with V&H pipes on several GSes. Wiggling the filter out took a little thinking but it wasn't hard.
                      http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Sorry GS1000G, i forgot to specify that i need the drain plug lengths. Oil filter was done at last service

Comment

So you're going to run clean oil through a dirty filter? tsk, tsk...
                          I know many here will say you'll be fine, but why? Especially when you already are down there with the oil drained?

Comment

I usually change my filter every Other oil change, lol.
                            I'm just superstitiously weird like that.

Once it starts looking black enough, I just drain and refill, done fast.

Comment

Length ??: 3/4" If you don't take the ex pipe off put some foil over it to protect from spills

Comment

Working...
                              X