No announcement yet.

Gs 750 cam shaft trouble

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tom is right; all four posts that Basscliff linked to stated how the guy didn't check his oil levels and ran it dry.
    Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
    1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
    2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
    Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
    and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

What he should be posting is a location and a request for someone who knows how these engines work to help him figure out how much has been damaged.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
        First thing I'd do is adjust the valves. Next is to check the carb jetting. The jet numbers must match those in the OEM Suzuki Factory Service Manual unless you changed the air filter box or the exhaust system. If that is the case, the carbs MUST be rejetted or the bike will not run right.
        Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
        Ed, apparently everything ran fine before being run out of oil.
        That won't change the jetting much.
        Tom,
        We don't know for a fact that the bike was run out of oil. We just know the oil was not checked and then the bike started to run poorly at some point thereafter. Most likely, the oil level is a little low, then when the bike started to run poorly a mistaken assumption was made connecting the two. Just like assuming the camshafts are worn, which is extremely unlikely.
        Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
          Tom,
          We don't know for a fact that the bike was run out of oil. We just know the oil was not checked and then the bike started to run poorly at some point thereafter. Most likely, the oil level is a little low, then when the bike started to run poorly a mistaken assumption was made connecting the two. Just like assuming the camshafts are worn, which is extremely unlikely.
          Well either way, getting answers out of this guy is like pulling teeth. He needs someone to look at it that knows these engines.
          Have fun.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

My Gs1000s had roughly done 95,000miles when I had it stripped and rebored to a 1085.
            we found the cams were badly worn, not pitted or blue, but they were well below spec...
            one thought we had they had been swapped from another Gs......

Comment

Blaming the cams sounds like Voodoo Mechanics to me.
              You'll never fix the problem that way.

I know people that work that way, their wallet is always empty, and their floor is full of brand new parts.
              And their car is Still being used as a lawn ornament!

Comment

i had a kz i ran way low on oil , well i ran the hell out of it to but, added oil and it ran fine, thing is if he ran tit to long the rings are prolly scorched, and cylinders glazed/burnt, he didnt say what the compression was ,how bad does it run that he would think about the cams?,valves adjusted?
                or is this just for a new topic? to talk about lol

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
                  What he should be posting is a location and a request for someone who knows how these engines work to help him figure out how much has been damaged.
                  Well, he's close enough to ride to the desert (and barely make it).

sigpic
                  mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                  hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                  #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                  #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                  Family Portrait
                  Siblings and Spouses
                  Mom's first ride
                  Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                  (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Working...
                  X