Clutch Cable woes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Clutch Cable woes

This may be a totally noob-ish question, but I am having quite a time trying to get my clutch cable off. I have released it from the handlebar lever, but I am not seeing exactly how to get the other side off. It looks like, loose, I should be able to slide it out to the left/front, but it doesn't want to budge. Any suggestions? Thanks!

Clutch Cable by kyouteki, on Flickr

Push down on that assembly until the spring pops loose from either end. You can also just loosen the cable from the handlebars and pull down until the cable itself slides out.

But loosening that spring will give you a lot more leeway to work that plus the round assembly piece out for cleaning
    Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
    1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
    2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
    Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
    and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

You should be able to just push the wire down until the bare wire is below the clasp. Then, if it's loose enough, the whole clasp should rotate forward and let you slide the wire out the back side. I don't recall mine being anything difficult. Just make sure it's loose enough to allow the wire holder clasp to hinge forward.

Sci85
      1982 GS550M Rebuilt Winter '12 - 550 to 673cc engine conversion.
      1989 Kawasaki ZX-7 Ninja
      2016 Ducati Scrambler Full Throttle

Comment

Originally posted by Sci85 View Post
        You should be able to just push the wire down until the bare wire is below the clasp. Then, if it's loose enough, the whole clasp should rotate forward and let you slide the wire out the back side. I don't recall mine being anything difficult. Just make sure it's loose enough to allow the wire holder clasp to hinge forward.

Sci85
        Yes, this. Leave the spring alone. You need slack in the cable before you can push it down and release it from the clasp.
        Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

The cable has lots of slack, all of the slack I can give it, but it just won't budge from that clip. In fact, if I push on the cable from the handle side, all it does is push the whole lever down. Is it perhaps rusted on? I wish I could see it from a better angle.

Then again, maybe it'll all become clear to me once I have my new clutch cable.

Comment

Originally posted by Sci85 View Post

Sci85
            I agree, maybe it needs a little help, like grabbing the cable with a pair of needlenose and pushing it down, or a little WD-40 to help loosen it up.
            It just looks to easy to be that stubborn.
            sigpic
            Steve
            "The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Comment

See, and the wire doesnt seem to be threading through the clasp at all, they are acting as if they were both one piece. I may cut the cable to see if that helps me out at all.

Comment

Some of those clasps have a little tab inside, under the head of the cable to stop it unhooking, check if yours has that little tab, if so, just bend it down with a screwdriver and you are good to go.

Comment

The tab is it! But the trick is getting to it...having a heck of a time getting anything in there to bend that tab. So close!

Edit: Got it! Had to improvise a tool with a flathead screwdriver bit and a pair of vice grips, but I got that stupid tab folded back!
                  Last edited by Guest; 01-04-2012, 09:18 PM.

Comment

Working...
                  X