X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Low Idle rattling

Hello

Regarding my -82 GS1100E...
    Got a rattling noise when idle are about 1100 rpm or lower, but not if I rev it up a little bit to approx 1200-1300 rpm. ( Sounds from the "gearbox" )
    Are the syncronizing of the trottles the only problem or could this also be other issues.... ?

Valves are adjusted properly...

Any experiences out there ?

Regards
    knut

Sounds like the notorious clutch hub rattle. You can either pull the hub apart and replace the hub cush springs (you need a welder), or just keep your idle up.

Balancing the carbs will help a bit, but it probably won't completely go away.
    Current:
    Z1300A5 Locomotive (swapped my Intruder for it), GS450 Cafe Project (might never finish it....), XT500 Commuter (I know - it's a Yamaha )

Past:
    VL1500 Intruder (swapped for Z1300), ZX9R Streetfighter (lets face it - too fast....), 1984 GSX750EF, 1984 GSX1100EF (AKA GS1150)
    And a bunch of other crap Yamahas....

Comment

Thank you Hillsy

I`ll try to open the hub and solve the problem this winter.

Knut

Comment

Originally posted by hillsy View Post
        Sounds like the notorious clutch hub rattle. You can either pull the hub apart and replace the hub cush springs (you need a welder), or just keep your idle up.

Balancing the carbs will help a bit, but it probably won't completely go away.
        It could be that or else there is a little rubber cushion behind the clutch hub that is worn or missing.
        It's item # 31 on this drawing: http://www.cmsnl.com/suzuki-gsx1100-...st/FIG-22.html
        If it's more like a loose marble noise it comes from the one way starter clutch. This happens when one of it's retaining bolts is broken...
        sigpicJohn Kat
        My bikes: CB 77, GS 1000 ST Cafe Racer with GSXR 1052 engine, GS 1000 ST, XR 41 Replica with GS 1085 engine,
        GS 1100 SZ Katana with GS 1135 EFF engine, KTM Superduke 1290 R 2020

Comment

The clutch basket rattle can be differentiated somewhat by listening to it running while on the side stand. It will be more prominent because the oil is tipped away from the clutch basket. Hold the bike upright, and the rattle should be quieter as the oil levels out, damping the sound.

Comment

Thanks a lot for all information ..

Knut

Comment

Also youll notice its a bit quieter when you squeeze the clutch lever. Theres springs like they said in the back of the clutch basket that dampen the vibrations from the flywheel meshing with the crank. These get weak and loose and let the basket rattle.
              MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
              1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Working...
              X