Bleeding issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bleeding issues

i hooked up a hose to the rear bleeder valve, and would loosen the valve and press the pedal to bleed the brakes. it was working well except for the fact that i used almost an entire bottle of brake fluid and the fluid in the hose still came out brown. has anyone had a problem like this before? im new to all of this. and this is the first time ive ever had to bleed brakes so with my limited knowledge, im stumped!

Did you start with sucking out or using some paper towels to absorb as much of the old fluid before you started?
    Use brake cleaner and towels to scrub out any debris that you started with?

Daniel

Comment

i did soak up some of old fluid from the reservoir with a shop rag, then added new fluid

Comment

You really ought to look at replacing your lines if they haven't been touched in a while and then cleaning out that master cylinder.
        Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
        1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
        2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
        Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
        and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

I just did some brakes on a 96 model bike that had been sitting for quite some time. First I disassembled the entire assembly including the pistons to get all the old stuff out. Then once all the old fluid was out and all put together, it still took a almost a bottle before it come out clean using a combination of vacuum pump and handle pumping. If you didn't disassemble then i can see it taking over a bottle.
          1982 GS550M Rebuilt Winter '12 - 550 to 673cc engine conversion.
          1989 Kawasaki ZX-7 Ninja
          2016 Ducati Scrambler Full Throttle

Comment

id like to rebuild the calipers and get SS brake lines, but is this necessary? ive never dealt with brakes, are they difficult to rebuild?

Comment

Tear down the system and clean it out properly. Replace the brake line while you are at it. Short cuts can make you dead.

Read this... http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846
              Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

this bikes going to take me across the country this summer so i might as well while im at it. is there a good tutorial u know of?

Comment

oh, and i can cross a few off of that list, i got new orings for the carbs, new intake orings and fasteners, carb gaskets, now im working on the valves, changing the oil, and tackling the brakes. everything else is sound i tihnk, though i dont know about the wiring. i rode it for 20 mintues then started rebuilding it becasue these pa winters are pretty long

Comment

ya gotta tell us more about ur trip when it happens. I have similar dreams.

Comment

Originally posted by Hoggystyle View Post
                      id like to rebuild the calipers and get SS brake lines, but is this necessary? ive never dealt with brakes, are they difficult to rebuild?
                      Easy to rebuild

Did you download the factory service manual in your Megawelcome?
                      1978 GS 1000 (since new)
                      1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
                      1978 GS 1000 (parts)
                      1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
                      1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
                      1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
                      2007 DRz 400S
                      1999 ATK 490ES
                      1994 DR 350SES

Comment

i will definately keep you updated, and with plenty of pictures along the way! theres lots of open road to explore. i'd like to go to colorado, most of my family lives out there. i used to work as a delivery driver when i lived in Colorado Springs and got a taste for mountain roads. should be loads more fun on a bike rather than a 35 foot flatbed i bought a clymer manual before i registered to this forum, wish i had known beforehand that i could download one for free, but it is nice to have a book in front of me when i need it. one thing i might have trouble with is removing the pistons, i dont have an air compressor. any easy way to do this without one?

Comment

A couple of flat-bladed screwdrivers can work if you have something to use as a fulcrum. I couldn't do the air on my older 550 ones but did on the Ninjas. If you can use air, just watch where things are pointed.
                          Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
                          1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
                          2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
                          Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
                          and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Welcome to another PA member! Just got back on the forums after a break and noticed your thread. Your boss has a shop? Can you do the caliper there on lunchbreak? It's a pain to get the piston out without a compressor, and only about 30 seconds work with one. For a tutorial on caliper rebuild here is the one from Basscliff's site

Last edited by Guest; 01-08-2012, 01:46 PM.

Comment

born and raised! my boss has a bike shop, but its a separate business. we install windows outs of state for government housing, but he owns the shop on the side. i helped him clean up and start renovations but it is about 15 miles away and i dont have a car anymore so i wouldnt be able to drive back and forth to work on the bike. ill figure something out tho, can always ask my neighbors i suppose. where do you guys get the right SS brake lines with the right bends on the connectors?

Comment

Working...
                              X