No announcement yet.

Bleeding issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

thats my logic as well, as im sure there will be a time when i need them in a hurry. sure thing, new SS braided lines are on the way, along with new pads so the entire front end will be completely rebuilt with no loose ends to worry about. the ones on there before were glazed and had some solid grooves in them. the rotors have some grooves too but i dont think it will be a problem as the brakes worked fine before hand.

Comment

Frt rotor can be resurfaced..as long as they dont get below the manual minimum specs.. The new pads will have to wear themsleves in so dont be alarmed by some squeekind and scrapping sounds for a bit.
      MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
      1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

what do you think about taking a sheet of fine emery cloth to the rotors to get residue from the old pads? its like ill be riding a new bike

Comment

Brake cleaner and a green dish scrubbie is what i do..dont think emery cloth would hurt either..Let other chime in on emery cloth issue though.
          MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
          1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

I use a fine (220) wet or dry sandpaper lubricated with copious amounts of brake cleaner. I wear gloves also because that stuff is not good for you. Also, you will want to cross-hatch it across the disc, not circular with the disc.

Comment

well i got the new seal and boot on the caliper, and my ss line came in the mail today. now i just have to wait for new pads, and while im waiting for the mailman i made another order. new rubber and pads for the rear caliper. this is moving along pretty slow but when all the parts are here it will be done in a day. now the only thing i have left to do in the way of brakes is the rear lines. i'd like to replace those with SS as well, but im not sure as to what kind of fittings i will need to go from the top of the MC to the hardline on the swingarm. ill figure it out though and post some pictures when i get the front caliper mounted with that shiny new line
              Last edited by Guest; 01-23-2012, 10:00 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Hoggystyle View Post
                now i just have to wait for new pads, and while im waiting for the mailman i made another order. new rubber and pads for the rear caliper.
                FYI. There is a break-in procedure for the brake pads and rotors, since they are so hard. I haven't done it myself, perhaps someone can post up the link?

You're coming right along! Don't get discouraged in the beginning. Lots of things up front to get it safe and reliable, then it slows to a trickle based on how much "restoration" you want to do

- JC

Comment

i saw the procedure somewhere on this forum for breaking new pads in. the wonders of the search function lol. well my goal is to get the bike up the the safety and performance standard it was 30 years if not better, so cosmetically its no gem. but a dented gas tank wont lock up and send me into a ditch in due time though

Comment

just an update, i got my pads today, so i went to Advance Auto and picked up a tube of Sil Glyde Caliper Grease. Any opinions on this brand, or any problems you have heard with it? i just want to make sure im getting the right grease

Comment

Working...
                    X