Cable Lube Recommendations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cable Lube Recommendations

What are people using for cable lube out there? Any recommendations?

Thanks!

Cable lube.
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
      Cable lube.
      Bah, ha,ha,ha,ha,ha,ha,ha,ha,ha
      Rob
      1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
      Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
        Cable lube.
        I guess I was hoping for a particular product or brand.

Comment

Whatever's on sale works fine.
          I got several cans for a couple bucks at a garage sale a few years ago, lifetime supply.
          http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

I usually just remove the inner cable and spray it down with dry graphite spray.
            Reinstall the cable and you are good to go for many, many years. Decades.

Daniel

Comment

Any powersports store sells spray cans of cable lube along with a little widget for injecting the lube down the cable. About $15, problem solved.

The shop manual contains a bizarre procedure involving making a funnel out of modeling clay and motor oil, but trust me -- just get the widget.

Motion Pro - High quality cables, tools and controls for motorcycles, ATVs, snowmobiles and personal watercraft.
              1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
              2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
              2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
              Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

For clutch cable, I disconnect the cable at the clutch lever so it sticks straight up, then I make a little funnel out of tape, then use oil, most any type will do, you can be as particular as you want, and pour it in the funnel and allow it to work it's way down the cable. Any lube is better than none.
                For Speedometer and Tach, I pull the cable out and use powdered graphite from a tube and try to get as much even coverage on the cable
                and put some inside the sleeve.
                sigpic
                Steve
                "The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page." :cool:

Comment

This is by far the easier way & I have one of those widgets too....

Deck Post Supports, Wizard Industries, Lumber Wizard, Little Wizard, PillowStay, Safety Specs, Bifocal reading safety glasses, 4x4 Post Supports, Handrail supports, railing fl

Harley (ugh) also does this same stuff in very small quantities for twice as much money...

You just stick the needle down the hole alongside the cable & squeeze...
                  1980 GS1000G - Sold
                  1978 GS1000E - Finished!
                  1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
                  1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
                  2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
                  1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
                  2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar..... - FOR SALE!

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

I use old motoroil, or lithium grease.

Normally I just glob the Cable ends with wheel/bearing grease, and work the cable in and out a buncha times. The corrosion and breakage happens near the exposed ends, so I just coat that part.

Comment

I use this. http://www.amsoil.com/storefront/amh.aspx

Amsoil Heavy Duty metal protector.

I use it for alot of things. Chains, cables, locks, latches, hindges, and levers. Just about anything that needs something heavier than WD40

It sprays out thin and gells to a light grease. It's synthetic and waterproof. Lasts for years in cables and never dries out.

Soaks into chains doesn't fly off (if put on a warm chain and allowed to set up) and repells water.

You can order from that site.

Comment

If your concerns begin with a dry cable then you should pull it apart before adding new lube and be sure there are no loose bits of metal that may have come off the cable or the sheath. It often means little, but the bits can come together and the friction will throw the reading off, or even jam the cable enough to knock off the end fittings.

If you need to clean it, use a bit of your wife/girlfriends nylon and tape it to the DRY cable end, then oil it and pull it through. Once out, check for loose bits. If any, remove the nylon, re-insert the cable, and then repeat, using a fresh bit of nylon.

After that, add a few drops of oil (NOT WD40) to the empty sheath and let them run all the way through. Coat the cable with a light grease and reassemble.
                        Bertrand Russell: 'Men are born ignorant, not stupid. They are made stupid by education.'

Comment

In the past I have used break free CLP. But I'm open to try something different if there is something better.

I usually rub the cable end with paraffin wax to help protect it. Grease will get nasty.

Comment

I will also issue the following warning based on firsthand experience: do NOT use chain lube or anything that thickens, or you will find one frosty morning that your clutch lever is nearly impossible to pull when it's cold enough for the lube to solidify.

Seriously.

Real cable lube is well worth the $10 - $15, ya buncha cheap so-and-sos.
                            1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                            2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                            2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                            Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Originally posted by bwringer View Post
                              I will also issue the following warning based on firsthand experience: do NOT use chain lube or anything that thickens, or you will find one frosty morning that your clutch lever is nearly impossible to pull when it's cold enough for the lube to solidify.

Seriously.

Real cable lube is well worth the $10 - $15, ya buncha cheap so-and-sos.

This doesn't happen with the Amsoil lube I recommended in my post. Another reason why I use it. It also resists high temperatures. I have seen in cases where there cable is short and touches, or gets close to the head, that the lube will burn up and crystalize in the cable. This can also cause it to bind up and jam. Disassembly and cleaning is needed for these contamination related problems. But a shot of lube won't usually help those problems. If it frees up right away with a shot of lube, You should be OK.

Comment

Working...
                              X