Broken Crankcase Breather Hose

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Broken Crankcase Breather Hose

hey all, i was putting my valve cover back on after a valve adjustment, and the crankcase breather hose broke right where it clamps on the head. ive sourced the part and the cheapest one is around $25. for a 10 inch piece of hose...ok. so what im wondering is if i would be better off buying a K&N type filter to mount to the crankcase or just fork over the cash for a pricey piece of hose? are there any benefits of the K&N type filter, besides the purpose of a filter when converting to Pod filters?

Yea, the OE hose is crazy expensive. If you can find a piece of gasoline vapor safe hose at the auto parts store that may save you some money.

A filter on the breather hose will allow oil vapor to mist on your engine, and maybe make a mess. Seems like a step backwards assuming you still have the stock airbox.
    Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

that is true, i was just voicing a cheaper alternative. i checked the hardware store and they didnt have the right size, ill check Advance Auto Tomorrow and see what i can find

Comment

Justb take it to an autom parts store get some vacuum line the same ID..may have a bit thicker wall but thats all you need..1.50 worth tops.
        MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
        1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

That hose will vary in price, depending on your source (it is 21.59 at G&S Suzuki), but you get a bit more than a 10" piece of hose.

Yep, you get SIX FEET of it in the package.

If you have more than one GS in the stable, or work on other's bikes, it's a worthy investment.

I have some at home I would send you, but I won't be there for another month.

sigpic
          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

haha thats quite a lot of hose! im not sure i could handle another GS quite yet. somethings always going wrong or breaking haha. ill try my luck at the auto store, though it wont be ready to ride for a few more months. Waiting for the mailman gives me tons of time to research on the GSR though.

Comment

I/2" fuel line works as a wonderful replacement. I get the cloth wrapped type at rubber supply stores like Delta Rubber or California Rubber.
              It is about $2.00 per foot and lasts much longer than your lifetime could possibly be.

Daniel

Comment

These guys are right, that hose isn't a critical part, you can get a close replacement at the auto parts store. It should fit fairly tight though, otherwise you need to use hose clamps, and that's not ideal. I got the OEM version, and they do give you about four times as much as you need. Both methods work. It's a hose that needs to withstand about 10 to20 PSI under normal conditions.

Comment

Originally posted by DPage View Post
                  It's a hose that needs to withstand about 10 to20 PSI under normal conditions.
                  If you have that much pressure, I would think you have some serious engine problems.

I have not put a pressure gauge there, but I doubt you would see anything more than a small fraction of ONE psi.

Yeah, there will be airflow, but pressure will only build up if the flow is obstructed.
                  Since that hose is basically open to the airbox, there is no pressure build-up.

sigpic
                  mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                  hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                  #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                  #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                  Family Portrait
                  Siblings and Spouses
                  Mom's first ride
                  Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                  (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Thank you for that Steve!
                    I was like...
                    10-20 psi????

Daniel

Comment

Sorry guys about the 10-20 PSI, what I meant was practically any tube you find in the auto parts store is strong enough, as long as it's the right size. It's a breather tube, not a brake line.

Comment

Someone posted here that the purpose is 2 fold..one to recycle the unburnt gas vapors and the oily vapor help to lubricate the slides.
                        MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
                        1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

i picked up 2 feet of 7/16 vacuum hose, cut to size, and tight enough not to need any clamps, though i used them just in case they want to vibrate themselves off. total cost was 3.27 or something like that

Comment

Working...
                          X