Drain pan stuck

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Drain pan stuck

I've removed all the bolts but it doesn't want to budge. I've smacked it with a mallet and a wooden block to try and knock it loose, but to no avail. Any tricks to get it off without damaging anything? I don't really want to try and smash a screwdriver between the cases... Any advice is greatly appreciated

josh

double check and see if youve not missed a bolt..ive done it and felt rather silly..
    MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
    1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Good advice, and I will. Pretty sure I counted 13, but hey, I've certainly done stupider things

Comment

A flat putty knife tapped in between the pan and the cases will cut the gasket loose and start getting things moving. Dont use the putty knife to pry, but to cut the seal. go around it in a few places and it will come off.. take your time and be sure not to gouge either of the mating surfaces.
        MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
        1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Hmmm. still being a chore. I'm sure if I really gave'er I'd be able to do it, but the only reason I am is to clean the oil pick up screen. I've had the bike for 17000k and never done it. Is it that big a deal?

Comment

Hi,

Go ahead and place your bike/model/year information in your signature file so that we all know what we're talking about. There may be some little trick that is unique to your model. Has the exhaust and its crossover been removed?

Anyway, let me dump a TON of information on you and share some GS lovin'.

I just stopped by to welcome you to the forum in my own, special way.

If there's anything you'd like to know about the Suzuki GS model bikes, and most others actually, you've come to the right place. There's a lot of knowledge and experience here in the community. Come on in and let me say "HOoooowwwDY!"....

Here is your very own magical, mystical, mythical, mind-expanding "mega-welcome". Please take notice of the "Top 10 Common Issues", "Top 15 Tips For GS Happiness", the Carb Cleanup Series, and the Stator Papers. All of these tasks must be addressed in order to have a safe, reliable machine. This is what NOT to do: Top 10 Newbie Mistakes. Now let me roll out the welcome mat for you...

Please click here for your mega-welcome, chock full of tips, suggestions, links to vendors, and other information. Then feel free to visit my little BikeCliff website where I've been collecting the wisdom of this generous community. Don't forget, we like pictures! Not you, your bike!

Thanks for joining us. Keep us informed.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Originally posted by Rustybottom View Post
              I've removed all the bolts but it doesn't want to budge. I've smacked it with a mallet and a wooden block to try and knock it loose, but to no avail. Any tricks to get it off without damaging anything? I don't really want to try and smash a screwdriver between the cases... Any advice is greatly appreciated

josh

Post the make and model of your bike as well as it's year of manufacture.
              13 bolts and not a hidden one?

My pan has bolts on the periphery and one in the middle of the pan.
              Not really hidden but kind of.

Uing the mallet and a block of wood is the best option. There should be a flange on the pan that would allow you to give it a really hard blow.

Comment

Thanks guys. It's a 78 gs550. I'm confident I got all the bolts out, including the drain plug, which obviously wouldn't have anything to do with holding the pan on. I got the 13 from my manual, which for whatever reason says "once you've removed the 13 bolts holding on the cover...".

I've since moved on to dealing with my front fork tubes and seals for today. Any tips and advice are still greatly appreciated.

Comment

Yeah 13 it is, a lucky number.
                  Its the putty knife for you me old trout.

Comment

Working...
                  X