Tightening Steering stem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tightening Steering stem

Is tightening the headset as simple as tightening the steering stem head center bolt? Are there any other steps in the process? My manual is a little vague in the process.

I've got a little play in the steering stem area which is only noticeable when i hit a rough patch in the road. There isn't any noticeable notching in the steering as far as i can tell. I know this is probably a sign that I should replace the bearings, but I want just try tightening it up first.

Thanks!
    Kevin

That center bolt you see only keeps everything snug - there should be a threaded ring above the upper race with notches in it that you turn to control the tightness of the steering bearings, probably there is a plastic cap over this. I'll defer to what the experts say about tightening the bearings because I could be better informed on that account.
    "Men will never be free until Mark learns to do The Twist."

-Denis D'shaker

79 GS750N

Comment

Put your bike upon its center stand and then use a small jack of some kind and jack the front of the bike up until the wheel spins freely. Then grab the front or wheel and do a push pull type of movement on it and see if you can feel any movement in the steering head bearings. If it is slight then an adjust is warranted. If you have a lot of play, think I would replace the bearings and races. Why do you ask, that excessive play will beat the bearings silly causing flat spots, no adjusting can help that.

Like Allie said there is a threaded nut with slots in it, I use a hammer and a punch and slightly tap the nut to tighten up the bearings, but do so very gently and check the play on the front end. Also turn the front end lock to lock to make sure it isn't binding any. Note! might be a good time to pull the steering bearings out clean and inspect regrease them and replace if you need to. The steering bearings are typically the most ignored bearings on a bike.
      sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
      1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
      2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike:dancing: 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

Thanks for the info Mrbill, that's just what I needed to know. My manual didn't say anything about that slotted ring. I'll try adjusting it tonight.

Comment

Hi,

I tightened mine a little bit the other day.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

It's worth mentioning that after you give it a bit of tightening, while the wheel is still off the ground, you should turn the bars back and forth slowly a few times and see if you feel what feels like detents or notches in the motion. This indicates that the races are flatted in spots and require replacement as a safety issue. If you can't get around to it right away, just don't ever let go of the bars unless you'd like to experience a tank slapper

Comment

doesnt anybody loosen their top triple clamp and then tighten the bearing?

Comment

Hi,

Originally posted by posplayr View Post
                Maybe.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

I tightened the notched lockring, and the steering feels MUCH better now.

Comment

Originally posted by posplayr View Post
                    Thought you would never ask . By tightening the big Steering stem nut youre drawing the top and bottom triples closer together. Gotta have one set loose before the adjustment. Make sure you tighten them when your done.
                    82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

Originally posted by bonanzadave View Post
                      Thought you would never ask . By tightening the big Steering stem nut youre drawing the top and bottom triples closer together. Gotta have one set loose before the adjustment. Make sure you tighten them when your done.
                      OK for a better description see the attached

Edit: The reason that you move the triple clamp down is to keep the bearing adjuster ring from backing back out and loosening again.
                      Last edited by posplayr; 02-02-2012, 12:46 PM.

Comment

Tighten the large nut to just past snug, re-install the top TT and tighten bolt to torque spec. Done.

Daniel

Comment

I just put the front end back on my bike and used a pin wrench to tighten that notched ring. Mainly because I have one and it doesn't get used very much. :-)

It's a wrench that kinda looks like a compass (drawing compass) but with little round lugs/pins coming out the side of each end. Perfect for this job.

Comment

Working...
                          X