Untweaking My Frame

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Untweaking My Frame

It's been almost a year since I bought my 1100ES and I've finally dug into a lingering aesthetic issue with the back of the bike and have discovered that the most rear point of the frame on the left side is higher by about 3/8"-1/2" from the other side. I'm assuming it was from some sort of lay down. Right where the frame tube starts going un-level I can see some surface rust indicating the paint got cracked there. While it is only aesthetic-- affecting the alignment of the seat cowling, tail light, and license plate-- if it's fixable within my limited ability I'd like to try and do it.

A 4' level certainly shows the frame bend when it is resting on the very rear of the frame.

Level is fairly level at seat cowling rear attachment points.

Only about 5" from where the frame is level to the back of the bike.

Suggestions?

I ould probably cut part way through the tube where it starts to bent with a cut-off wheel. Then bend it till it is level. Finally weld it up and blend it in with a grinder.
    Feel The Pulse!

1982 GS1100E with Tracy one piece body
    2007 Roadstar Midnight Warrior

ebay cntgeek

Comment

^^^^ That or a bit of heat, bend to shape, some cheap and nasty rattle can gloss black, and call it done.

Comment

Hi,

I was in a similar situation after my wreck about two and a half years ago. One of the upper rear frame members was bent behind the shock mount.

Mr. Nessism came over to help me with it. We took the low-tech approach.

We secured the frame using a couple of 2x4s braced against a rafter in the garage.

Then we used a bottle jack to slowly bend the rear portion of that frame arm into place.

We kept at it until we got the desired results.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Originally posted by Flyboy View Post
          ^^^^ That or a bit of heat, bend to shape, some cheap and nasty rattle can gloss black, and call it done.
          Uh... i was going to add something, but after ogling at Flyboy's vid i lost my train of thought.
          '80 GS1000ST
          '92 ZX-11
          Past rides: '79 GS1000SN, '84 GPZ900R

http://totalrider.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Frank Z. View Post
            Uh... i was going to add something, but after ogling at Flyboy's vid i lost my train of thought.
            Ain't that the truth.

Come on Stan, where'd you find it?
            Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
            1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
            2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
            Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
            and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Learning while Ogling!!! (thanks FlyBoy)

'preciate everyone's input! I'll probably do something similar to what BassCliff and Nessism did in concept, except since I need to go in the opposite direction I'll remove left rear shock and wedge in a 2x4 there, then figure out a way to apply downward pressure on the subframe member.

Comment

Mike..wedge the 2X4 in and get a long ( 5 or 6 FT ) piece of pipe that will fit over the end. The length will give leverage to basically lean on the pipe and see if it tweeks it back down. If you can get a set of acetylene torhes for a few hrs, then heat it in that area as suggested before and this will make the tweeking that much easier. Know anyone thats in the HVAC bizz? They usually have those hand carry mini torch sets. MAPP gas gets hotter than propane and may do a good job as well.
                MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
                1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Hey, my posts may not be tomes of knowledge, but at least they come complete with dancing girls.

Comment

Hey Chuck, that's pretty much what I came up with. I talked to me bro and he suggested the 2x4 trick as well. The hard part was trying to find something that would give me enough leverage and figuring out how to attach it to the frame. Amazing what you can do with baling wire and hose clamps! I ended up heating the tubing as well and pretty much nailed it the first try with the rig shown (though there were many previous attempt with other setups just as ugly which did not work). All by myself too, which was actually a bit concerning.

The rig.

Closeup of how the big reefer bar was attached.

Comment

like i always say..Us poo foke always find a way!!!
                      MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
                      1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Fire + Sledge hammer = my style.

Comment

Originally posted by chuck hahn View Post
                          like i always say..Us poo foke always find a way!!!
                          Poo? There's got to be a better way to phrase that

Comment

Originally posted by Frank Z. View Post
                            Derailed, were you? I can't even imagine what you might have been thinking......

Comment

Working...
                            X