Need some experienced input

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need some experienced input

Hi all. Wondering if some experienced guys can tell me if I have an issue here. A little background first. I decided to pull the engine from my 81 1000 GLX to repaint the frame and engine. I pulled the carbs, cylinder head and jugs off and took the rest of the engine and secondary out as one piece after draining the engine oil. I decided not to drain the secondary oil before I removed the engine as from my understanding it is separated from the engine oil and is self contained and can't leak out anywhere. However after reinstalling the lower part of the engine, I began to notice some oil weeping from " The Hole". At first I thought it was some leftover engine oil, but after some closer inspection, It appears it may be gear oil. As I have not yet installed the cylinder head, I thought I would touch base on this forum and see if anyone experienced this. Being that I had the engine on my workbench and upside down and on both sides, I'm wondering if some hypoid gear oil from the secondary drive has some how found it's way into this hole. My stator cover has been off for a while now and the starter cavity is dry as a bone. This has me a little perplexed as my understanding is that this hole only connects to the bottom of the starter cavity. Has anybody had this experience before and is there something I may be missing. I would like to address this problem before reassembling, but I'm not really sure there is a problem. I know leaking oil is a problem but I'm hoping this weeping leak will eventually stop when the gear oil (which has somehow found it's way into this passage) has depleted. Can anybody confirm for me that I'm assuming correctly here??

I always figured there was more to the mystery hole than folks here were admiting. Maybe, it also serves as breather/ overflow for secondary drive reservoir and you tipped engine during removal allowing oil to find its escape route. But I sure someone will have a better explanation!
    1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

I have never followed the "mystery hole" to see exactly what, if anything, it does, besides drain the starter cavity. I do know there is a vent for the secondary drive, but I thought that was on top of the cases, not in "the hole". No doubt, since you turned the engine over, oil has escaped somewhere, but I don't think it will be a problem as long as you top it off before riding. In fact, I would suggest draining what's left and just install all new oil.

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
        I have never followed the "mystery hole" to see exactly what, if anything, it does, besides drain the starter cavity. I do know there is a vent for the secondary drive, but I thought that was on top of the cases, not in "the hole". No doubt, since you turned the engine over, oil has escaped somewhere, but I don't think it will be a problem as long as you top it off before riding. In fact, I would suggest draining what's left and just install all new oil.

I'm kind of thinking along those lines too Steve. I never rode this bike at all last summer but I know it wasn't leaking anything from that hole when I stopped driving it. It had me kind of confused because my little shop with the bike in it is not heated all the time. The only time I see this weeping is when I plan on being in there for an extended period and I light my propane heater.. I guess after the gear oil warms up it will start to leak a little because it flows easier from the heat. I think I'll go with this theory and start to reassemble the rest of the engine. Thanks for your opinion.

Comment

Working...
        X