Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

should I attempt a frame-off restoration?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

should I attempt a frame-off restoration?

I have this 77' 550 and its really not in that bad of shape. I already have a lot stripped off. Got the tank prepped for paint, etc.

The engine, fork, wheels, electrics and exhaust still remain and I keep asking myself if I should just tear it all down.

What kind of hell could I expect if I take everything off and go through it all, excluding an engine rebuild?

Thanks!

Well, it sounds like you're fairly mechanically adept. 550 motors are not that heavy. It wouldn't be that bad, but what would your goal be? Paint the frame?

Comment

go to the projects and rebuilds section and see what others are going through, or have gone through on their builds...

I am at the tail end of mine currently, and have started assembly, another month to 6 weeks and I should be done

Good luck....

link to the section - http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...play.php?f=128

Comment

Don't start in February...

Unless you live in the Southern Hemisphere.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Don't start in February...
          It will soon be riding season and you might miss some riding if you're deep into wrenching. On the other hand you likely have a good 6 to 8 weeks of winter so that should give you ample time to get down to cleaning/repainting the frame and engine but you will need to keep up a pace and do a little something nearly every day and hope that you don't run into any "issues". Lots of guys are doing them as we speak so have a look and see what you think bearing in mind your own schedule/ work habits and available cash.

Of course , if you choose to do it we will need to have some pics to follow along and criticize.

Good luck with it.
          Spyug

Comment

Originally posted by mike_of_bbg View Post
            Well, it sounds like you're fairly mechanically adept. 550 motors are not that heavy. It wouldn't be that bad, but what would your goal be? Paint the frame?
            I would like to paint the frame, yes. I want to do the stripped cafe look, all motor. This is my first bike build, or even anything to do with bikes really. I do know how to ride and throw a wrench around, but Ive never done this type of thing.

I do like the other advice to not start in Feb. I think if I got it running at least, I would have a great deal of info about the overall condition while Im riding.

Comment

Try this, do a rolling restoration. Fix it a little at a time, rebuild things, clean things, adjust things, fix all of the leaks one at a time. Wait on the frame. Ride it as much as you can along the way. You may find you like the bike and decide not to cut it all up and make it slow, unsafe and uncomfortable in pursuit of someone's else's silly idea of style.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
                Try this, do a rolling restoration. Fix it a little at a time, rebuild things, clean things, adjust things, fix all of the leaks one at a time. Wait on the frame. Ride it as much as you can along the way. You may find you like the bike and decide not to cut it all up and make it slow, unsafe and uncomfortable in pursuit of someone's else's silly idea of style.
                What he said.

Comment

try this, do a rolling restoration. Fix it a little at a time, rebuild things, clean things, adjust things, fix all of the leaks one at a time. Wait on the frame. Ride it as much as you can along the way. You may find you like the bike and decide not to cut it all up and make it slow, unsafe and uncomfortable in pursuit of someone's else's silly idea of style.

+1.........

Comment

+2

They are a bunch more fun to ride than make look pretty.
                    Get all of the bugs worked out and enjoy it.
                    You can always make it pretty next winter.

Daniel

Comment

Agreed...

Keep it up and running...fix things as needed...learn...

And just enjoy riding it...
                      Bob T. ~~ Play the GSR weekly photo game: Pic of Week Game
                      '83 GS1100E ~ '24 Triumph Speed 400 ~ '01 TRIUMPH TT600 ~ '67 HONDA CUB

Comment

Like the advice, especially since all the people I should be asking agree on the same thing. Plus, it makes a lot of sense anyway.

Comment

Another in agreeance; sure wish I'd listened to it myself instead of doing everything I have done.
                          Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
                          1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
                          2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
                          Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
                          and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

What the others here are saying is what I did the summer before last when I got my 85 750EF.Got her running to ride then over the winter I gussied her up .All documented in my sig thread.It was the first time I ever got a bike that completely apart.Enjoyed that so much I'm doing a 78 1000 this winter.See if you like the bike as is then if you think you want to change it do so.

Comment

+3

I thought about doing the same thing (except cutting it up) but decided spring is too close, now if I get a second bike, tear one down, leave one for riding...yeah, thats the trick...honey!! I need another bik...ouch(frying pan to the head)

Comment

Working...
                              X