Redneck Tank Derusting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by gerb73 View Post
    That is about 15minutes after start. Here is 3-4 hrs later.
    Where's the tank?
    sigpic

82 GS850
    78 GS1000
    04 HD Fatboy

...............................____
    .................________-|___\____
    ..;.;;.:;:;.,;.|__(O)___|____/_(O)|

Comment

lol, its in there! The tank is fully submersed. anything that is bolted to it, i.e. petcock, is removed. The water is white at first because washing soda was added. As i understand it iti is a catalyst. I think all total it was in just under 24hrs. I then emptied it of all water and sprayed pb blaster(ran out of wd-40 ) inside to wick away any residual water and to prevent any more rust from starting again.

Comment

Can someone put my mind at ease? About 9 hours ago I filled my tank with 2 gallons of vinegar to de rust and I left the petcock and fuel guage in there. Do you think they will survive the vinegar treatment?

Comment

vinegar soak

So my 9 hours ago is now about 36 hours. I got called away from the house for a work related issue, but nonetheless, the petcock is still soaking in the tanks vinegar bath. I'll let ya'll know how it turns out. The lever on the petcock to switch from PRI ON or RES was broke off anyway so I don't know if it worked anyhow. WE shall see.

Comment

Yet another method to consider: Molasses and water. No nasty chemicals, just takes a bit more time.

Sadly Gav isn't with us any longer. I hope people still enjoy watching his video. I'm closing comments for it now.Cleaning up a rusted cast iron BBQ burner...

Comment

Originally posted by dfinnegan71 View Post
              Can someone put my mind at ease? About 9 hours ago I filled my tank with 2 gallons of vinegar to de rust and I left the petcock and fuel guage in there. Do you think they will survive the vinegar treatment?
              I have not read this entire thread, so I am not sure if if has been covered, but they say add a cup of salt to the vinegar to make it a stronger solution.
              I left my gas cap on, and it ate the two aluminum nubs that lock the tank. It ate them to almost nothing. After twenty tries, and thinking I was using the wrong GS key to get the cap off, it luckily engaged and came off. I left the original (garbage) petcock in also and it ate some of the base plate.

Comment

How long did you leave the vinegar in there? Was it right up to the top as to saturate the gas cap? I have a little bit of air space between the cap and fluid level. I won't get back home for another 36 hours....I hope it's alright!

Comment

IIRC I left vinegar in mine for about a week. Didn't do any harm but I didn't leave the fuel valve and sender in the tank.

The float in the sender might be toast.
                  sigpic

82 GS850
                  78 GS1000
                  04 HD Fatboy

...............................____
                  .................________-|___\____
                  ..;.;;.:;:;.,;.|__(O)___|____/_(O)|

Comment

Originally posted by loud et View Post
                    I have not read this entire thread, so I am not sure if if has been covered, but they say add a cup of salt to the vinegar to make it a stronger solution.
                    I've also read that salt increases the effectiveness.

Oh, and in experience some aquarium gravel really helps the derusting process as they scrub the metal. Using something large, like nuts and bolts, or smooth, like bb's, won't scrub the metal as well as the small sharp edged aquarium rocks.
                    Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

update

So after a solid 4 days of vinegar in the tank, with petcock and fuel guage sender assembly still in there, I have some news to report.
                      The rubber on the sender remained in one peice, however it did separate from the metal holder piece it was attached to. The petcock survived, and much to my delight unclogged itself and is now a usuable fuel valve. And as for the rust....completely gone! I did a quick rinse first with half a can of WD-40, than about a quart or two of gasoline. It looks rust free as far as I can see. Vinegar! I woulda never thoguht!

Comment

Working...
                      X