Ok, stupid thing happened when I moved.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ok, stupid thing happened when I moved.

I tore down my 82 GS850 GLZ to repaint the frame while I wait to get the engine and carbs fixed. Well, long story short, I moved and had help with moving. I had all parts and bolts sorted on the shelves in the shop, and might I add, never ask someone to help you move your bike, and then leave them alone while you go to the bathroom. I come back out and all the bolts and nuts were in one container.

So, after y'all are done laughing, can anyone help me sort out the bolts for the frame in some way( part number and bolt size would be great), because Parts fiches don't tell you bolt sizes and Clymer's doesn't have that info either.

And maybe this will help others, I don't know. If no one has any idea, well thanks for reading.

The size is encoded in the part number.

Look at the first 4 digits of the second half.

Comment

For instance if you take the rear upper engine mounting plate bolt on your bike it's Part# is 01107-08408 the first four digits after the hyphen (-) which is 0840 means that the bolt is 8mm x 40mm long. As stated above by Adler.

Comment

Originally posted by Highway_Glider
        I have found with the cover bolts that they should have about 1 cm of shaft sticking out. So I put them in and swap the one sticking out too much or not enough till they look even.

DP
        The rule of thumb for engineers is to have the length of thread engagement equal to twice the major diameter. So, an M6 (hex head will be something like 10 mm wrench) will engage 12 mm. When you first stick it in the hole, there should be about 12 mm between the screw head and the parts being joined.

More refined machinery may shave the safety factors more carefully, but this definitely works on a GS. I never have to make a diagram or anything to remember where a screw was. I just put in the one that fits. You do have to pay attention to bolt grades though. Consult your service manual to see how to recognize the Japanese grades used on the GS. There aren't many of them.
        Dogma
        --
        O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
        '80 GS850 GLT
        '80 GS1000 GT
        '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

At least you've got your nuts and bolts, Not all'v mine'v made it back from the platers, I'm completely frustrated by it.
          sigpic

Don't say can't, as anything is possible with time and effort, but, if you don't have time things get tougher and require more effort.

Comment

I'll be moving soon myself, I won't ask for help as I'm afraid I might get it

Right now I got all these little and big boxes of parts, odds and ends, for two bikes. The goal is to get it all moved without any help so I can find what I'm looking for when I need it at my next place, but I do hate moving.
            sigpic
            Steve
            "The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page." :cool:

Comment

Working...
            X