Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My oil level window is very hard to see through!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So how do I know if there's enough oil in there? I just drained all the old rather smelly oil and put in the new stuff. It's an '82 GS1100G and it says on the side that it needs 3000mL. So I have put in around 3L but I can't tell from the little window if it's right. I did change the filter too.

Are there any tricks? How can I be sure the oil level is right?

there arent any tricks , you really need to make sure it has plenty of oil at all times
    if cleaning it doesnt help, maybe just get a new oil window and put it in i believe there still available

Comment

Cold engine,bike on center stand, run it a minute or so, let it sit a minute, look in the oil window. It should be between the high and the low mark. Too low will fry the stator, too high is worse.
      http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by JimmyR View Post
        Then CLEAN it. The best way I found of doing this is the remove the clutch cover, lay it face down so all the oil can dran away from inside the cover. Then poke cotton buds through the slots in the sight glass and wipe away old oil and residue. Do that over and over again until it is clean. It may take 10 or 12 cotton buds to get it thoroughly clean.

The result is you will be able to see your oil level.

Check it with bike on center stand. See instruction from Suzuki manual following:

OIL CHECKING

1. Start up cold engine to run if for about 10 secs. at idle speed.

2. Stop the engine and after waiting 1 minute check the oil level (bike on center stand).

3. Add oil as necessary to raise the level to the "F" mark on glass sight window.

Good luck with it.

EDIT: Tom is a faster typist than me, he beat me to it.
        Last edited by Guest; 03-09-2012, 05:17 AM.

Comment

Oh I read about how to change the oil. I know how to do that. The point is that the window is old and yellowed. I can't see the level of anything through it. I will try cleaning it. Obviously I have cleaned it on the outside but that hasn't helped. I didn't know you could clean it - I assumed it was some kind of plastic that aged and went yellow. Is it glass? It really looks like the clear bit has gone opaque.

Sometimes there are other ways to judge oil levels. Obviously not in this case.

Comment

Originally posted by JimmyR View Post
            Oh I read about how to change the oil. I know how to do that. The point is that the window is old and yellowed. I can't see the level of anything through it. I will try cleaning it. Obviously I have cleaned it on the outside but that hasn't helped. I didn't know you could clean it - I assumed it was some kind of plastic that aged and went yellow. Is it glass? It really looks like the clear bit has gone opaque.

Sometimes there are other ways to judge oil levels. Obviously not in this case.
            It can be replaced easily enough, the windows are still available. Kawasaki has the same size windows, but a better design which is easier to red, and apparently a few bucks cheaper. They both fit the same.
            http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Cool - thanks! I'll check it out.

Comment

Another vote for replacing it. I did it last year and it took me all of 20 minutes.
                Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
                1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
                2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
                Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
                and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

I just cleaned mine with cotton buds. (removed clutch cover)
                  5 mins. cheap

ps.with bike on side stand... no need to drain oil.

Comment

Dump the sight glass area full of some rubbing alcohol to help the Qtips scrub the residue off the glass. Clean the engine case and cover from all old gasket material and reinstall with a new one. Good to go for another 40 years or so.
                    MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
                    1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Ok - cool! I was thinking I'd have to drain the oil to clean it. But it makes sense that you'd be able to take the clutch cover off if the bike is tilted to the left because I took the stator cover off with the bike tilted to the right! Isn't it amazing that you can do this - I mean there's 3 litres of oil in there. Good. That's something I can do tomorrow.

Thanks guys!

Comment

if its the out side of the sight hole i believe there is a plastic cleaner, you can buff it with a dremel or something, it might come clean enough, other than that just replace it

Comment

As always the rape a gasket folks peep in.

Get a damned hot dryer or hot-air gun and slowly warm then heat the glass.

It will release the water and the haze.

Removal and manual cleaning is for girls, guys who want to be girls, and folks that cannot understand basic physics.

Even if you drain and replenish the oild on the basis of a measured container. If you get the damned cases hot enough the water will boil out.

God how did we lose Stalingrad to those uppity Russians?

Oh was it the condensation in our sumps that the sortie length could not excrete via effulgence?

Comment

Originally posted by JEEPRUSTY View Post
                            As always the rape a gasket folks peep in.

Get a damned hot dryer or hot-air gun and slowly warm then heat the glass.

It will release the water and the haze.

Removal and manual cleaning is for girls, guys who want to be girls, and folks that cannot understand basic physics.

Even if you drain and replenish the oild on the basis of a measured container. If you get the damned cases hot enough the water will boil out.

God how did we lose Stalingrad to those uppity Russians?

Oh was it the condensation in our sumps that the sortie length could not excrete via effulgence?

i dont think water is the problem, it is probably like my old one was, dry and faded on the outside, only cure buff clear,or replace
                            the inside are usually clean or have oilywater grey goo grey goo is not big deal , but the out side of them dryout like the instrament lenses do

Comment

I just had the cover off, and used some Q-tips to clean the glass, plain and simple

and mine was dirty on the inside, not the outside

Comment

Working...
                              X