Airbox and choke

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Octain View Post
    I'm not necessarily one of those guys. I hate stock airboxes. But I do think it's easier to tune a bike from an already tuned condition.
    If possible get the bike running properly then look into doing the mods.

I think jetting is an art form and find it quite enjoyable.
    I totally agree, on all points.

Originally posted by Octain View Post
    My 82 wouldnt even backfire.
    That's strange. My '79 GS550 uses slide carbs. Maybe the CV carbs are more finicky. I've got very limited experience with them.

Comment

You're right on the enrichener. All the way to the left is full choke (Actually enriched) and 180 degrees to full right is run. On my 1100GL, I can see the choke linkage working under the tank without removing the tank. Just stand on the right side and reach over and operate the choke while bending over and looking under the tank. You can see when the slack is out and the actual choking starts. I say choke since it's easier than enrichen. By the way, I have had PODS since I got the bike and recently got an airbox and am going to go that way. I find the PODS with a 4 into 1 pipe make me tend to operate below the optimal power band for the bike due to the loudness factor. The V and H exhaust snarls above 4500 rpms or so and you don't really get best torque until 6-8K. I'm hoping with the airbox, I will like riding at higher rpms a little more plus tuning is a little easier. Mileage might improve also.
      Last edited by 1948man; 03-12-2012, 07:48 PM.
      1983 GS 1100 Guided Laser
      1983 GS 1100 G
      2000 Suzuki Intruder 1500, "Piggy Sue"
      2000 GSF 1200 Bandit (totaled in deer strike)
      1986 Suzuki Cavalcade GV 1400 LX (SOLD)

I find working on my motorcycle mildly therapeutic when I'm not cursing.

Comment

Ok guys,

Im unsure if the recommendation is to go stock jets with the pods or rejet? If i do rejet, whats the best recommendation for a kit.

Also, should the stock exhaust be next to replace and with what?

as I posted, right now Iwant to make sure the bike starts, even if it runs crappy, thats all I need to know right now. The previous owner replaced the stock points with an electronic one so Im not sure if anythings correct he did. He kept popping a fuse and he didnt know why. I followed the color electrical diagram and found he had all the connections wrong, with that fixed my next step is to see if it starts. Next step is to fine tune everything and get it running 100%.

But, as I asked, im a bit confused now whether to follow the re jet recommendation and what to do with the exhaust if anything.

Comment

Damn, dude!

Get it running before you go changing everything that you don't understand. Make the changes once you know what you want.

Rocket science.
          http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
            Damn, dude!

Get it running before you go changing everything that you don't understand. Make the changes once you know what you want.

Rocket science.
            Thats what I said from the start. It doesnt make sense to put money into the bike before I get it started.

Since we are on this topic. I am not getting any spark. I have new spark plug wires correct for the bike. I am getting power. It turns over. The previous owner removed the points and replaced it with a dynatek electonic ignition. I checked all the wiring connections as when I bought the bike the guy said he kept blowing a fuse. I found out the problem and corrected it. It is all wired to the color diagram I have.

question is, is there a way to tell if this ignition he installed is working. A test?. im thinking it could be the coils as they are original but I want to eliminate this ignition first before i move on to something else since someone else installed it and obviously had no clue how to wire the bike.

Any other suggestions are greatly appreciated.
            Last edited by Guest; 03-24-2012, 04:07 PM.

Comment

I moved this to Electric forum just so im in the right section.

thanks for all the help on this topic.

Originally posted by avbove38 View Post
              Thats what I said from the start. It doesnt make sense to put money into the bike before I get it started.

Since we are on this topic. I am not getting any spark. I have new spark plug wires correct for the bike. I am getting power. It turns over. The previous owner removed the points and replaced it with a dynatek electonic ignition. I checked all the wiring connections as when I bought the bike the guy said he kept blowing a fuse. I found out the problem and corrected it. It is all wired to the color diagram I have.

question is, is there a way to tell if this ignition he installed is working. A test?. im thinking it could be the coils as they are original but I want to eliminate this ignition first before i move on to something else since someone else installed it and obviously had no clue how to wire the bike.

Any other suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Comment

Listen to octain. I tride pods on a non running bike and couldn't get it started after a carb rebuild. I put the airbox back on and it fired right up. Ran like crap, but after a carb sync it runs great. Get it runnin.

Comment

Originally posted by tigerfan474 View Post
                  Listen to octain. I tride pods on a non running bike and couldn't get it started after a carb rebuild. I put the airbox back on and it fired right up. Ran like crap, but after a carb sync it runs great. Get it runnin.
                  im not getting any spark. thats why it wont start. Im sure it will once i fix the issue. I dont think the pods are any concern right now. and i havent done a thing to the carbs yet.

Comment

Working...
                  X