Bench Grinder Blues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bench Grinder Blues

So, I get out my trusty Bench Grinder to take off a grinding stone and attach a wire brush.

It whipped mine, and a friends A--.
    Tell me if this is where we went so wrong.
    I notice, the left hand side has a hole in cover over grinder stone. The right side does not.
    We took off left and tried to remove the left stone.... (never thinking to go right untill too tired, frustrated and other projects to attend to.)
    Or, does it matter?
    -Bookmon

PS- I tried to avoid all this. I knew it would happen. But, you just can't buy a grinder w/ a brush already. Called Harbor Frieght, Home Depot, various car part folks- heck, even Tractor Supply! You got to get the brush and put it on!

From the sounds if that bench grinder whipped your a*^ it is a good thing that you have this site to turn to for your bike .
    1984 GS1100GK newest addition to the heard
    80 GS 1000gt- most favorite ride love this bike
    1978 GS1000E- Known as "RoadKill" , Finished :D
    83 gs750ed- first new purchase
    85 EX500- vintage track weapon
    1958Ducati 98 Tourismo
    “Remember When in doubt use full throttle, It may not improve the situation ,but it will end the suspense ,
    If it isn't going to make it faster or safer it isn't worth doing

Comment

Have you considered the possibility that one end of the shaft might have left-handed threads?

Try turning the nut the other way.

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

This site is a GodSpell

Yep. I'll agree. Not very mechanic minded. Tooooo Left brained. ot ashamed to say.
        The kicker to the story- I go to one of may fav cheap places for help and parts (Pink Store in Pell City has almost anything)
        Seeking A- a brush wheel, and B- How to help.
        They did not have a brush in stock, so the guy walks off w/o answering the part B.
        But, I thinks I have it. I bet, on rightside wheel, I need to socket wrench/vise grip that bolt too. Trying to hold that (now obviously) stright through shaft with just a screw driver in the slot won't do it.

Comment

Try this, Bookmon:
          On the right-side wheel, hold the wheel, turn the nut anti-clockwise to loosen it.
          On the left-side wheel, hold the wheel, turn the nut CLOCKWISE to loosen it.

The principle behind that is that as the wheel gets dragged by working, it will not loosen the nut, so the nut tightens against the direction of rotation.

sigpic
          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

My grinder has that left hand thread.Drives me nuts.I use a vice grip to hold one side to change out the stones,wire wheels and buffing wheels.

Comment

Working...
            X