Help! Bike Won't Start! Compression?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by silverhelme View Post
    Just to throw it out there I just ran across something worth checking. The PO of the 78 750 I just bought went through the same thing. He had no start so he replaced points condensers battery and coils but could not get it to spark. After I bought it I started going through the system with a DM and found no power after the ignition switch. I shot some contact cleaner into it and worked it back and forth a few times and it fired right up. PO said it had only sat 3 months without running and had been stored under a tarp but apparently enough condensation had worked its way into the switch to corrode it. If you don't have one get a DM or a test light and trace your power and see where you have it and don't have it. That will give you the place to fix.
    I second this advice but to effectively use a DMM or test light you need to know basic electrical. I suppose one can get help with testing using these tools over the internet but I think it's better if one gets assistance in-person if they know very little about electrical.

Also it's been addressed, but I HATE when people say an engine makes the usual sounds (cranks) but won't turn over - It goes against the definition of "turn"

Comment

If it seems like you don't have compression see if gas leaked into your crankcase from the petcock.
      No spark? See if you have voltage at the points with the ignition on.
      1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
      1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Is the kick-starter drastically easier to kick than it was before? Did you say you did take the trip after the tune-up and it ran okay then?
        1983 GS 1100 Guided Laser
        1983 GS 1100 G
        2000 Suzuki Intruder 1500, "Piggy Sue"
        2000 GSF 1200 Bandit (totaled in deer strike)
        1986 Suzuki Cavalcade GV 1400 LX (SOLD)

I find working on my motorcycle mildly therapeutic when I'm not cursing.

Comment

Working...
        X