1978 gs 750 issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1978 gs 750 issue

fist of al i should have chacked the tappet clearances first before tinkering with the carbs.... would have saved me a lot of time.. any way this is my first time working on a motorcycle and im young and ignorant still

my question is where can i find the breathe valve cover gasket i have searched everywhere for it and cant find it... also i took it out for a spin after adjusting the tappet clearances and fixing the float height putting in some new oil and filter she runs really well so im pleased i got the bike mostly tuned... but i still cant figure out why the handle bars are wobbling when i let go... i checked the bearings on top. seemed fine the forks seem a little weak... they sink alot when i get on other than that the front tire looks to be fairly new. what could cause the bars from shaking...

Look at BassCliff's web site for a list of vendors. Be sure and get an OEM (dealer) gasket, the aftermarket ones for Suzukis suck. Not sure why, I rebuilt my GPz with aftermarket gaskets all around, but its not a GS.

Comment

Its not the forks, it is the 30 year old springs and fluid. You'll want to drop some progressive springs in there after you flush all that ancient fluid out of there.

Comment

How's the tire pressure? Is it the right size tire? Is the tire mounted properly, that is, concentrically on the rim? How did you work out that the front fork/steering stem bearings are OK? On older, higher mileage bikes of that era, the bearings consisted of a pair of races, top and bottom, with about 40 loose 1/4" balls (approximately 1/4" anyway), and, after time and miles, the balls would 'dent' little depressions in the races (called 'brinelling'). The way to eliminate that as a cause is to put the bike on the centerstand, or otherwise raise the front end so the fork assembly is free to go side-to-side, center the steering, and gently move the steering slightly off center to left or right, if the forks seem to want to re-center, even a little bit, by themselves, or feel the slightest bit 'notchy', that could be a likely cause. Lastly, the tire 'looks ok', but what's the actual date of manufacture? All worthy of consideration.

P.S. What KK said.
        sigpicSome of the totally committed probably should be.
        '58 + '63 Vespa 150's' (London, GB/RI, US)
        '67 X6 T20 ('67 Long Beach, Ca.- misty-eyed)
        '71 Kaw. A1-ugh ('71 SF, CA- worked @ Kaw dlr)
        '66 Yam. YL1('72 SF-commuter beater)
        '73 Kaw. S2A-2Xugh ('73 SF-still parts slave)
        '78 GS 750C ('77 SF-old faithful-killed by son)
        '81 KZ 750E ('81 SF-back to Kaw. dlr)
        '81 GS 650G ('08 back to NE&ME- (project)
        '82 GS '82 (2) GS650GZ, L, Middlebury, G current

Comment

Ddint we just go thru a list not all that long ago??
          MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
          1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

A tyre pattern may give a bike a wobble if its wrong for the bike. Direction of rotation will do that also.

+1 for springs and oil on soft forks.

Comment

ya but i couldnt seem to get rid of the wobble and that is the reson i posted again to find some more anwsers. ill check the front tire when i take the bike to put on the new rear one, might as well put a little cash into the front forks ie springs and oil im thinking the progressive fron springs but then am tempted to do the rear as well. might be too much money for me right now however

Comment

Originally posted by MoMakkawi View Post
                my question is where can i find the breathe valve cover gasket i have searched everywhere for it and cant find it... also i took it out for a spin after adjusting the tappet clearances and fixing the float height putting in some new oil and filter she runs really well so im pleased i got the bike mostly tuned... but i still cant figure out why the handle bars are wobbling when i let go... i checked the bearings on top. seemed fine the forks seem a little weak... they sink alot when i get on other than that the front tire looks to be fairly new. what could cause the bars from shaking...
                Realgaskets do a nice silicone gasket for your breather RG-11177-45000 $8.50

You may want to consider replacing the steering head bearings with tapered bearings from Allballs or Pyramid.
                -Mal

"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." - B. Banzai

78 GS750E

Comment

Working...
                X