Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

fork you oil

im trying to change my fork oil and i can figure out what i am missing

I took off the protective rubber unscrewed the bracket and the drain.. what am i missing?

The drain plug is still in: in the middle of the left picture!

Comment

You're gonna want to use a socket or something to push that cap against the spring pressure. Has to go down a bit, and there's a circlip inside the edge of the fork tube. It's gonna be a 4 hand job basically. Someone to push the springs down, and someone to dig out the clips.

Comment

Originally posted by TheCafeKid View Post
        You're gonna want to use a socket or something to push that cap against the spring pressure. Has to go down a bit, and there's a circlip inside the edge of the fork tube. It's gonna be a 4 hand job basically. Someone to push the springs down, and someone to dig out the clips.
        I had good luck with C-clamp vicegrip- one end hooked under upper triple tree and other pushing down on center of cap. Left enuff room to free circlip and ease cap up-be ready for spring pressure.
        1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

I put a large screwdriver against the caps and push with a rag from my shoulder. Then use a mini screwdriver to get under the circlip and pop it out. Much easier to do with the handlebars removed (you can just lay them out of the way and not take anything off). Watch for the cap flying from pre-load. Removing the cap of course releases spring tension. Do one at a time and the other fork spring will keep the bike from listing too far forward.

Comment

i took off the drain bolt a grey-green oil came out then undid the bolt at the top and removed the cover. after that im a little.confused. where is the spring? and could i usr a 2/4 and a car jack to lift the bike or would the center.stand be enough?

Comment

You can use a jack under the motor to lift the front end of the bike.

Your bike has push-stoppers with snap rings (as does mine). You need to push the inner cap down, then fish the snap ring out of the cap. It will probably help to have another body to help hold or at least sit on the bike. You'll probably also have to remove the handlebars. The stopper is part #26 which you see in the parts fiche, the snap ring is #28:

Comment

okay cause i was pushing and pushing that out grove and didnt feel like i got anywhere and got nervous i was doing something wrong. im so overwhelmed trying yo catch this bike up to good standards and yet give it a litfle of my own falir. very depressing:/

Comment

Working...
                X