Advice on where to buy parts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Advice on where to buy parts

To start off I am still very new to working on motorcycles. I know I need to do all of the basic maintenance before I start riding this summer ie: carb cleaning, petcock needs rebuilt/replaced, replacing the intake boot o rings. I also need my chain replaced, it is worn. I have an 81 gs550T, and I also have a complete parts bike which is an 81 gs 500L
    With all of this being said, I need to know where to buy parts and such. I dont know when the last time the carbs were cleaned. I plan on just buying the orings from cycleorings, I'm assuming that fully taking them apart and replacing the orings will be sufficient. This will be my first time ever cleaning a carburetor....to say the least im nervous about it.
    I know where to buy the intake boots and such.
    Now...for the petcock. Ive read mixed reviews on whether to rebuild the petcock or to completely replace it. What do you guys think? Also, can anyone send me a link to wherever I should go to buy one? I have looked them up but its kind of overwhelming when youre not sure what to buy.
    And finally, the chain. I know there are difference in chain types. Also, there are price differences. Which chain do I need? i just want something basic and that will last. What is a good site to buy a chain? and what are the differences in the chains?
    I would like to add that I am on a tight budget. I am trying to get my bike ready for the summer asap, I drive a full size ram and $4.15 a gallon isnt good on my budget.
    I will appreciate all help. I am still new to this and I am trying to learn. I want to do everything the right way and not half ass things. If you have any other suggestions or any advice that would help me please let me know.

No problem, and

Our official greeter, BassCliff, is taking a vacation, so I will just give you THIS LINK to his "official" Mega Welcome.

In there, you will find a BUNCH of stuff, including tutorials how to do basic stuff, like carb cleaning, and there is also a list of some of our preferred vendors.

Pull up a comfy chair and start reading. Don't expect to get through it all in one night, though.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

I've read the welcome quite a few times, and I do plan to follow his way of cleaning the carbs and such! It is very helpful! (:
      Also, I have been on the site for a little while, I just dont post a lot. I tend to just read and lurk and try to learn.

Comment

aGuns, things will be real simple to do. I redipped my carbs two weeks ago and finally put them back together tonight. Except for measuring the floats (I still need to do that), reassembly took me about an hour total for all four carbs. It's not hard to do at all if you go slow and follow Nessism's procedures to a T. I'll be driving through your area in two weeks on my way to Ohio and can stop in for an hour or two if you want some help.

Parts ordering should be done through Z1, Boulevard, G&S Suzuki, or even your local shop IF they provide you decent service (mine's turned to crap but has come through on a couple of things).

PM me if you'd like my cell number.
        Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
        1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
        2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
        Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
        and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

With the nice weather i've been able to work on my bike a little. I started tearing down my extra set of carbs that I have for the bike so that I can learn. But i would like if someone, possibly on here, could clean my other set (I can always pay through paypal), or if youre near st louis. Because this is my first time.
          Also, I have been having an electrical problem. The wire running from the ignitor to the battery will get hot. I have replaced the ignitor, and the circuit is good but still will get hot/spark excessively if it touches the battery. I tested the main fuse box and the lower three fuses are not carrying the current out...fuses are good. My guess is that I should replace the entire box, since im sure behind the main fuse box the wires are too shorted. Does this sound correct?

Comment

Actually, im decently confident in taking apart and putting together my carbs....the part I dont know how to do is
            A) measure my floats (I dont have the tools to do so)
            B) synch them.

I honestly do not believe I can synch them...I dont have the experience to do so.

Comment

Originally posted by aGUNS View Post
              Actually, im decently confident in taking apart and putting together my carbs....the part I dont know how to do is
              A) measure my floats (I dont have the tools to do so)

B) synch them.

I honestly do not believe I can synch them...I dont have the experience to do so.
              The sync before re-installation will be a "bench sync". Basically you just make sure there is an approximately equal sliver of light coming through all four butterflies. No special tools required, but this will only get you close.

To do a real vacuum sync is not hard, but requires a tool like a Morgan CarbTune (the most recommended around these parts - I own one and think it's great). A vacuum sync is something that should be done at least annually, plus after every valve adjustment. The tool will pay for itself the first time you use it (compared to taking to a shop), and it's all just gravy after that.

Carbtune motorcycle carburetor synchronizers;polycarbonate tool pouchs;for motorcyclists

For our GSes anyway, I'd also suggest buying some brass sync port adapters (~$10 on eBay or from Z1 Enterprises). The plastic ones included with the Morgan are serviceable, but not very good. About the only weakness of the set.

Comment

Go pick up a set of digital calipers from Harbor Freight for cheap ($20 on sale right now) - http://www.harborfreight.com/6-inch-...per-47257.html - you will use them for everything from your carbs to anything else you can imagine.
                Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
                1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
                2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
                Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
                and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Working...
                X